Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Mercedes15, your loft has no ventilation the hot air can not get out of your loft, the roof of plexiglass will have the sun beating down on them all day they can die in that loft, you need to make some changes on the roof you can replace it with wood or maybe get some sun reflector shingles and cover the roof with them, and you need vents all around the bottom of the loft also all around the top of the loft
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Circle

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi Mercedes15, your loft has no ventilation the hot air can not get out of your loft, the roof of plexiglass will have the sun beating down on them all day they can die in that loft, you need to make some changes on the roof you can replace it with wood or maybe get some sun reflector shingles and cover the roof with them, and you need vents all around the bottom of the loft also all around the top of the loft View attachment 102378
You can't see from the Pic, there is a vent in the Bottom back and Top Back of cage.
The left side is open with just chicken wire near the top, and the right side has an exhaust fan near the top.

The Plexiglass does not get Hot in the Sun, I known that hard to believe but I did investigate the design before I started.

Thanks

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can't see from the Pic, there is a vent in the Bottom back and Top Back of cage.
The left side is open with just chicken wire near the top, and the right side has an exhaust fan near the top.

The Plexiglass does not get Hot in the Sun, I known that hard to believe but I did investigate the design before I started.

Thanks
sounds good i could not see the vents

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am fairly well versed in poultry/pigeon housing needs. Mostly, I want to learn about very pigeon specific things. Traps, nests, perches and the like!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Mercedes15, you need 2 square feet per bird your loft is 6ft high 4ft wide and 6ft long that equals 24 square feet that equals to 12 pigeons, 40 or 45 pigeons is way to many birds
Rectangle Font Circle Writing Number

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 5 large next boxes with nest fronts and 25 regular sized boxes,a few pearches . I know the sq ft. rule, but don’t know many people who actually follow. The coop was built originally for 24 birds though with that intent.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts