Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's that to do with PT, you will ask... Well, Shrimp is a little squeaker, almost a month old now, and she got that name because I rescued her two weeks ago from a seagull with bad intentions. I remembered reading in PT that it's possible to scare a hawk away, so when I saw the seagull have a go I made the most noise and flapping about I could manage, and it worked. I grabbed the baby, and gave the seagull some cat food instead, so everyone was happy.
Shrimp is a darling, growing rapidly, and will soon be ready for release. As I write she's roaming free about my study, getting some flight practice, and wondering whether to take another bath. And I'm delighted to say she's definitely off the menu!

PS. My modem is still giving me a hard time. There'll be more stories and photos when things get back to normal.

·
Registered
875 Posts
gulls can be very nasty!(one spooked my cat last summer,he req vet treatment but was ok)they can be quite aggressive too espec the big herring gulls!try to keep shrimp away from gull iff poss,usually a shout or loud bang is enough to get them away but they can be persistant

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gulls can be very nasty!(one spooked my cat last summer,he req vet treatment but was ok)they can be quite aggressive too espec the big herring gulls!try to keep shrimp away from gull iff poss,usually a shout or loud bang is enough to get them away but they can be persistant
Yes, they can be a pain in the neck sometimes, but I love seagulls to bits! The attacker was Trinity, a dominant female who usually coexists quite happily with the pigeons and the feral cats, but I think she's got young to feed at the moment and she doesn't leave the nest for long, so she was both very hungry and impatient. She saw the tiny squeaker, who shouldn't have been off the nest yet, and tried her luck.
I won't release Shrimp until she's old enough to fend for herself, and also I intend to introduce her to 'my' feral flock, who are very street-wise. Cara, the squeaker featured in the last 'lolpigeons', has already joined them and she's doing fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.