Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello-

I've just received word that the baby king pigeon that has been at San Francisco ACC, named Miss New Orleans by shelter volunteers, has become sick.

MickaCoo is full up and in the red with recent vet bills for Skyscraper, Detroit, and Barley and we won't be able to take this bird on.

On the chance that someone else can help, I'm putting the word out.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Poor gal. If I had anywhere to put her . . .

I am trying to donate to Mickacoo but can't get the donate button for paypal to work from your Rescue Report site. How do I go about doing that? Oops, nevermind, I just did it through Network for Good.

Once we get it all figured out . . .how about it folks, anyone got a dollar or five? Maybe eat at home instead of a restaurant this week? Maybe make coffee at home for a week and bypass Starbucks? I'll put in $20 as I just got a bit of money from someone backing into me (some going to new loft and the rest to new boots for pigeon duty in the rain!) and what other good use could it go for. :) Wish it was $20,000! Remember to put "for the pigeons" on your donation!

***As many of you know, Mickacoo is our ONLY resource for pigeon rescue in the Bay Area right now. I and all of our other rescuers are FULL. The shelters are pretty much full as well. Even with Marin opening the stall for them, there are so many more out there. There is literally NOWHERE for these birds to go as of today.

WE NEED HELP IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA . . .PLEASE!!!!!

http://www.rescuereport.org/2009/09/donate.html

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad Update

We found an experienced king pigeon lover who was willing to pick her up, pay for vet care and long-term foster her but unfortunately the bird has been euthanized.

I just learned that Miss New Orleans' breathing was labored and she was euthanized for humane reasons at 11:41 this morning by shelter staff.

I'm sorry to end this story this way.

Here's another way- there's another king (not yet sick). Let's get her/him out of the shelter. This is all I know:

FYI- We have another pij, Jazzy, and s/he's great- very tame, plump, friendly. Easiest bird I've picked up.

Do you have an empty Amazon parrot-sized cage? If so, this pigeon would LOVE to live in it.

e

·
Registered
695 Posts
For anyone that doesn't already know Kings are extremely docile pigeons, even the males are gentle (unlike some feral boys of mine). They make absolutely excellent pets.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That's very sad. :(:( I'm still hoping at least a few people will be able to help out with a few small donations. I see several people have viewed so far but I guess they aren't in a position to help, which is understandable. :eek:

There have been different rescuers for the SFACC at different times over the years. At some point, each rescue organization gets full and/or fed up trying to rescue the pigeons, and is unable to do it any longer. Then another organization steps up . . . sometimes. Until then, the birds are euthanized.

I am just getting concerned that Mickacoo is reaching their limit and will begin to pull back from helping the pigeons--after all they are originally a parrot rescue group. I just feel if they had a bit more help financially, at least right now with so many bills, that they would feel more hopeful about helping the pigeons. It is so easy to get overwhelmed, as Elizabeth and many of you surely know.

Hopefully this makes sense. I have the flu so I am a bit muddled. :eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
My check is in the mail, Elizabeth. I know it's not enough, but I hope it helps some.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you, Debbie! Every little bit counts . . . literally. Even if it helps with meds or a bit of food. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts