Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

Two new baby pigeons were born in our balcony about 3 weeks back in a flower tub. While one turned out to be healthy, the other one is increasingly becoming sick. For the last few days it has hardly moved. It has very few feathers and a large open sore/ wound near it's neck. It has grown less than half the size of the healthy baby. I am not sure how to take care of this sick baby, but I think if I don't do anything soon it may die. The mother and the father pigeons hover around the tub all day long, so it is difficult to touch the babies or take them to a vet. Any advice will be really appreciated as I am completely inexperienced in this.

Best regards

Siddhartha

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Please bring the baby inside. You can just go to the nest and gently remove the sick one, the parents will keep their distance. It's possible the parents stopped feeding him because of the sore. If you can post a photo of the baby and his droppings, members will be able to give advice.

Put him in a box on soft bedding. You can try and get him to drink water by gently tipping the tip of his beak in a small bowl of water (but not over the nostrils otherwise he might aspirate).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Marina B: Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, the baby died the next morning, before we could do anything. The other baby is healthy and doing well. Thank you once again. Best regards

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Am very sorry to hear the baby didn't make it. Thank you for caring about him. Hope the parents and other baby grow and thrive.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Maybe he got attacked by something. I guess the parents will breed in that spot again. At least now you know about this forum, so if there's any problems in the future you will know where to post. Keep well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts