Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys! all of my baby pigeons are having yellow swellings all over their butt and body.they are dying after a few days.plz help me.can you tell me whats causings this?!i think its the season change!please please help!:confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
could be serious

hi guys! all of my baby pigeons are having yellow swellings all over their butt and body.they are dying after a few days.plz help me.can you tell me whats causings this?!i think its the season change!please please help!:confused:
if you have any penicillin/amoxicillin/ don,t hesitate to administer it,50mg to start-see if that starts a working--,i always keep a private supply on hand,,never know when diseases will crop up..sincerely james waller

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How are the parents acting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys,thanks for your reply.i think the parent are perfectly alright.they appear to be fine.it is a babies who are catching this sickness.i am from bangladesh ,asia.i have about 20 pigeons.recently babies are becoming sick when they are about a week old.today i applied potassium per mangate on the yellow swellings.tmrw i'll give them penicillin aswell.can you plz tell me the amount of penicillin i should feed the babies?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you have any penicillin/amoxicillin/ don,t hesitate to administer it,50mg to start-see if that starts a working--,i always keep a private supply on hand,,never know when diseases will crop up..sincerely james waller
.today i applied potassium per mangate on the yellow swellings.tmrw i'll give them penicillin aswell.can you plz tell me the amount of penicillin i should feed the babies?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Are the pigeons still on pigeon milk if they are I would wait and not separate them from their parents just yet--just apply you topical for now and leave them be and see what happens hoping the parents will continue to feed them and don't disturb them any more. Are the parents still taking care of them---Do you have two sets of parents or three with their babies (5 days old that is young) Parents feed that all important pigeon milk at least up to 7 or 8 days and then they feed seed from their mouths(wetted)-I would not do anything else as long as the parents are with them....c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Rusafa: Canker is caused by Trichomonas and this is a single cell organism. If this is Canker (sounds like but I am not there) it might be wise to approach this from 2 or 3 sides. Number one---baby birds can build up some immunity to Canker and it is in their early stages of life that this is possible but sometimes the immunity is outweigh by the disease and it takes over and kills the bird. Now what you need to do right now is treat all the birds in your loft with Canker medicine that bird people use in Bangladesh and hold off for the time being with these babies---but do treat the parents and I would give them a pill form for now and if you have to treat the babies (use your judgement here) take the parent size pill and estimate (India's people are good at figuring out math better than I can ) and estimate the size difference of the two the parent and the baby and give it to the baby in that small amount---if you have too--if its only a few little flakes of yellow maybe wait maybe baby getting an immunity to the disease---use your judgement here and talk to other bird people and maybe a bird hospital or something but I do believe it very well be Canker but you also need to balance the disturbance of the parents and babies and take this into consideration...We use a pill here by the name of Spartrix for Canker or even Flagyl but check with your pigeon people and see how they do in your area...Here I would use 1 tablet of Spartrix for the adult per day for about 4 days and for the first two days of dosing--give a small amount--to baby birds--estimate by the size of the two : adult and baby: and I would do this for two days and see if there is an improvement and if not use your judgement but give it a chance... You need to remember that Canker during breeding season is not controlled by medicine alone it is the developement of a strong immunity system here to the disease and I would only dose the birds if I really had to and they could anyway (babies). Once you get Canker in a loft you could use some preventative measures with things like Turbosole given for 2 days periodical but we can attend to these things later.---For the baby birds being 5 days old and if they are on pigeon milk they are getting it from their parents and I would treat the parents to pill form for 4 days with Spartex but I would wait at this time on the babies because of the disturbance---you don't want the trichomonads to increase from where they are and take a wait and see approach on them at least until they are off of the pigeon milk...Best I can do IF THEY HAVE CANKER and use your area vet people or bird hospital conference or whatever you have assess to by funds or people who have the knowledge to help and I say : Yo-Yo Yam Yam....don't know what that means but I was always curious on what it means in Hindi----Best wishes C.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Rusafa: I think I have a better idea--we have a very knowledgeable pigeon person in this forum from India (Kerala and Calicut) and you could send him a personal message on his profile page and see what he can suggest---He is very good with knowledge about pigeons..... His name in this forum is Sreeshs Just my opinion and I don't know this person---using my instinct here.....c.hert

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I suggest sending a message to Plahemn. He is from another country and may know the medicine that you have available to you. He is just great and really knows his medicine. min

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to call a pharmacy and find out if they have metronidazole [flagyl] that you can legally purchase. If they do, buy the lowesr dose and we can help you fogure out how much to gibve the baby Pigeons based upon their weight.
A picutre of the yellow spots would be very hepful.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here's a list of resources in India that may be of some help to you. Contact any of them to find out where there is help in your area.

Karuna Society for Animals and Nature
2/138/C,
Karuna Nilayam, Behind S.C. Quarters,
Vill. Enumulapalli,
Puttaparthi- 515134,
Anantpur District,
Andhra Pradesh,
India
Phone: + 91 (8555) 287214
Email: [email protected], [email protected]
http://www.karunasociety.org/
Veterinary hospital, shelter, animal ambulance, pet adoption, wildlife rescue.

DELHI/NEW DELHI

Charity Birds Hospital
Shri Digambar Jain Lal Mandir Ji,
Opposite Red Fort,
Chandni Chowk,
Delhi -110006.
Phone: 32909216.
(Contact Person - Shri Pankaj Jain, Superintendent)

Charitable Birds Hospital,
Shri Vijayanand Sureshwar Jain Sewa Trust,
H-48, Near Corporation Pump,
Navin Shahdara,
Delhi - 110032.
Phone: 22825088

Friendicoes SECA (Society for the Eradication of Cruelty to Animals)
271 & 273 Defence Colony Flyover Market (Jungpura side),
New Delhi - 110024,
India.
Phone: 011- 24320707, 24314787
Email : [email protected]
Shelter, veterinary hospital, animal ambulance, pet adoption, wildlife rescue.
http://www.friendicoes.org/

KARNATAKA

People for Animals,
67 Uttalahari Main Road Kengeri,
Bangalore
Karanataka 560060
Tel + 91 80 28 603 986
http://www.pfa-bangalore.org/archive.aspx

CUPA (Compassion Unlimited Plus Action)
KVASFU,
Bellary Road,
Hebbal, Bangalore- 560024
Landmark: Near Veterinary Hospital And College

Phone numbers: 080-22947312, 080-22947300

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. You need to buy the Metronidazole and get the babies treated. You cannot wait on this, because when they have canker, it doesn't get better and go away. It will get worse and kill them. If it is canker, and it sure sounds like it is, and you wait longer it will be harder or impossible to cure. They'll die.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Rusafa: I really hope that you come back on line sometime on this thread and update us because a lot of people have contributed their knowledge and help and don't let the different names of medicine confuse you Metronidazole (Flagyl) is an updated version of Spartrix and suppose to work much better for Canker because the older medicine Spartrix is now found to be not as effective any more because of overuse of it here in our country but I really don't know what your country has to offer in the way of canker medicine---please come back to the thread and let us know what is happening--I would appreciate that....c.hert

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Ronidazole (which is powdered metronidazole) is water soluble and added to the drinking water. If at all possible, if you can get that and treat the water for the parents. They in turn will feed the babies, and the babies will be treated. I did this a long time ago when the babies were too small for pill form, and it worked. Just my suggestion - but you do need to get some form of metronidazole (flagyl) into them.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Wonderful suggestion Msfreebird and I sure hope that our friend Rusafa comes back online and seeks help once again....c.hert

·
Registered
503 Posts
It looks like your young birds have Paratyphoid or Samonella, the boils are part of this disease and young dying in the nest is also part of this disease. Go to Youtube and type in pigeon diseases and it will take you to videos of pigeon disease and the cure, it will also show you exact symptoms of the diseases. I highly suggest giving your birds Apple Cider Vinegar because Samonella doesn't live in an acidic environment, avoid bleach because chlorine raises the PH and arbor the disease. 2 tbspn per gallon twice a week should help.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts