Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Monday I received two pigeons. A fledgling already eating on his own and doing fine and a white, most likely young king.
The king has been sitting fluffed, not eating but drinking lots of water. He is extremely emaciated and just looks terrible. He can barely can keep his eyes open and is so weak that he stumbles when he tries to walk or when I put him down after feeding him.
I didn't think je was going to make it through the first night.
I started him right away on Baytril and Flagyl, there was no improvement in his condition. I discontinued the Flagyl Thursday night and started Sulfatrim plus the Baytril and I also dewormed him last night as I thought I try it before loosing him.
I didn't notice any worms in his droppings which are brownish and semi-solid.
I don't know what else to do for this little one.
He hasn't gained any weight either. I feed formula and pellets, occasionally he picks up a seed but no more than one ot two.
I really have no idea what else I can do for this poor bird.
Sure it can be a virus, but I would think by now it would go one way or the other.
I am thiking of adding Nystatin to the meds but I so don't want to overmedicate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reti

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Reti...it sounds like coccidia over load to me.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reti...it sounds like coccidia over load to me.
That is why I started him on Sulfatrim. Shouldn't I see some imporvement by now?

Reti

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Not necessarily. That is... IF it's coccidiosis. Are you keeping him especially warm? They can float along for quite awhile in that state sometimes, that's for sure.

Pidgey

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not necessarily. That is... IF it's coccidiosis. Are you keeping him especially warm? They can float along for quite awhile in that state sometimes, that's for sure.

Pidgey
The heating pad is on high and he has one side of the cage where he can get off the heating pad, which he does most of the time.
I do have two towels on the heating pad so it doesn't get all that hot.

Every time I go check on him I am prepared to find him dead. But you know how it is, the longer they stay alive, the harder you try to keep them going.

Reti

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That is why I started him on Sulfatrim. Shouldn't I see some imporvement by now?

Reti
Can you get some Albon oral suspension? That's what I use.
I wouldn't set the heating pad any higher than the low setting, Reti.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was always told only use the heating pad on low also. I hope he makes it. I know you won't give up. min

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think my heating pad is working right. I had it on low but it doesn't feel warm at all. The bird is not sitting on it ever, the most he is standing and I have two towels on top of it. It is not too hot trust me.

My vet's clinic has Sulfatrim only for coccidia, no way I can get albon in a timely manner. The sulfatrim has always worked on every bird I gave it.

I am not giving up on him.

I was wondering about some antifungal medication, but I so don't want to overmedicate.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Reti, if you want fast results you should use Appertex and Spartrix.
Sulfas and AB-s are to be administered for minimum 5~7 days. To weak birds in critical condition do not have time to react to medications.
Give him honey in your mix to boost his energy level and to buy you some more time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For home made natural anti-fungal treatment;

Crush garlic (very important to crush it so it produces antifungal compounds), add ACV (to preserve the compounds from breaking within 24h). this mixture will be preserved for about a week if refrigerated (not freezed); give the bird 2 tsp twice daily for 7 days.

If you want to speed up the treatment; prepare bluestone (Copper sulphate) solution (500mg/1L water); take 10ml of it and mix with 1 tsp garlic+ACV above and administer to the bird. you should see improvement/recovery within 3~4 days.

Note: bluestone (copper sulphate) can be toxic if overdosed; maximum tolerated overdose per bird is 3gm/1Liter water or 1gm/Kg b.w.​

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used my last Flagyl. So will order some Spartrex and Appertex.
The Flagyl I do like because of it's broad antibacterial spectrum. I didn't think this bird had canker, his mouth and throat are perfectly clear and clean and he has no secretions or anything that would indicate canker (no smell or anything)
I think it might be very well a virus.

Thanks for the natural antifungal. I'll give it a try except for the copper sulfate, I wouldn't know where to get that from.

·
Registered
95 Posts

You should find it in your local plant supply store (its used in gardening). get it in it's powder state (not as chunks), it also can be used as post-treatment for canker.

You give the 'natural anti-fungal' an hour before feeding; along with warm water, and you want to massage the crop. If you can't find bluestone; then maybe half tsp of salt + warm water will do; although its not as powerful as bluestone.

Usually, if the dropping became yellow-brownish with distinguished smelling it means intestinal coccidiosis, fungal, colibacillosis, streptococcosis, CRD; if its yellow-greenish it means canker,chlamydiosis; if its dark-brownish it means cecal coccidiosis. Worms produce foamy dropping. this's not the case all the time (specially with multiple infections).

If you have amoxicillin then use it instead of baytril which is not preferred with emaciated patients.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Canker does not always appear in the throat, but should always be treated because immuno-compromised birds are susceptible to canker. Rather eliminate it with one Spartrix pill.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will order some today.

Just got home from work and he looks even worse today. He can hardly stand.
I am thinking on what else to start him. The Flagyl and Sulfatrim has always worked but with this poor bird he is only going downhill.
I think I have nothing to loose if I start him on something else.
I have fluconazole, would that help if he had aspergillosis?

I worked last night and I have to go back to work tonight.Please let me know if I can start him on something, if you have any ideas.
I also have Keflex, ampicillin, injectable baytril and doxycyxline.

Reti

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gave him honey this morning and starting him on doxycycline, when I woke up now I found him dead.
I feel terrible. I hate it when they live so long and you watch them struggle and you hope there is something that will work and then they pass away.

Thank you so much for your help.

Reti

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Oh Reti I'm so sorry. You tried everything and thats all you can do. I know it doesn't make it any easier but at least he died being warm and loved. Again, I'm so sorry. min

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Mindy.

If I had money I would have a necropsy done, for future reference.

Reti

·
Registered
911 Posts
So sorry Reti. I know how terrible you feel, I went through the same thing with one of my last rescues and I was going to Dr Hauck and trying everything. After 5 seperate trips to the vet and about every type of medication possible, he just kept slipping away. Nothing worked, I even had a full lab fecal done and it showed nothing. It just broke my heart watching him get worse each and every day.

Sometimes no matter how hard we try, we loose them. But we must take comfort knowing we did our best and these birds were loved, cared for and comforted by us in their final hours.

Again, so very sorry for you loss. RIP Little King

1 - 20 of 30 Posts