Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my 09 race birds started acting sick today it was setting in the corner to itself drawed up but its feathers were not fluffed up. walks likes its stiff or sore my birds were treated for canker every other week and respiratory on the weeks between those during race season. they were also wormed before race season twice and during race season twice also coccidiosis once external parasites every other week(via bath water) PMV at weaning. this bird was on my first drop in its last race 12/06/09 with 4.49 to win it was up top and healthy. has been fine ever since till today breathing sounds fine when you hold it to your ear throat and eyes look great full of color doesn't have an appetite didn't eat. I separated the bird wormed it as it has been close to a month since its last worming my race birds were treated for canker and respiratory after the last race. any help would be appreciated this bird has placed top 10% multiple times at combine level and I had plans to breed her it is a hen and I didn't feel an egg bound or like she was going to lay

Thanks
Kenneth
MEDS:
Doxy-T
Turbosole
Ivomec
Moxidectin plus
Permetherin(spelling)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You say it walks like it is stiff? Since you have treated for all the other common problems, I think your bird may have paratyphoid. There are a few different forms it can take besides the typical twisted neck appearance. It can effect the joints, giving it a hard time moving. It can also effect the bowls, which loss of appetite, going light, and diarrhea can come into play.

Out of the medications listed, Doxy would probably do you the best. Something else you will probably find nearby (Southern States?) that helps with paratyphoid, is Sulmet. It isn't really the best, but it works.

Because it is a hen, I would be suspicious of egg laying problems. She hasn't laid recently? Even if she isn't egg bound, she could have post egg-laying paralysis. The nerves near the pelvis can get pinched, which control leg movement. Some birds may just limp, and others can be completely unable to move their legs. It goes away within a couple days usually.

I hope other members are around to give their advice. Because with my two theories, treatment can be difficult. If egg-laying issues, then calcium is very important to ease it. But if it is a disease, medications can be greatly effected by calcium and grit (containing oystershell or charcoal bits). So if you go one way and are wrong, it could hurt instead of help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update

South Town I have I use the Natural brand mineral supplement along with grit that has vitamins and minerals but I'll add some oyster shell.

I went out last night around 10:00 or 10:30 and medicated the whole race team and this bird I went back around midnight and she had ate her crop was full I checked on her again before I went to work around 5:00am she had ate some more and was hard to hold as she has always been except for yesterday she was acting just fine this evening so I put back in the loft.

Thanks for the help

Kenneth

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hope she stays well. Something must be going on with her. I'd watch her, and I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
South Town I have I use the Natural brand mineral supplement along with grit that has vitamins and minerals but I'll add some oyster shell.

I went out last night around 10:00 or 10:30 and medicated the whole race team and this bird I went back around midnight and she had ate her crop was full I checked on her again before I went to work around 5:00am she had ate some more and was hard to hold as she has always been except for yesterday she was acting just fine this evening so I put back in the loft.

Thanks for the help

Kenneth
I had problems last year (first yr of breeding). I had no idea how important an ample supply of calcium is. I use oystershell mixed with red grit and charcol. Plus a supplement on the feed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You did the right thing, ask for help. This time of the year is when you win in young birds by keeping your birds healthy. Use Primalac Pigeon W/S ,1tsp per gal. daily. If you dont have it use apple cider vinegar ,1tsp to gal of water. This will help for old birds and young birds and will keep young bird sickness away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts