Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the hobby, and noticed yesterday I have 2 of my 12 birds that are "fluffed" out all the time, lethargic and eating very little if at all. These are young birds, I feed Nutriblend Green/gold, clean loft and they have been with me for about a week. Any ideas on what I should treat for, and should I treat just the 2 birds or all 12?

Thanks,
mb5322
Matt

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Matt ...Your birds could be sick with several different things and a combination of several things. I would be suspicious of coccidia and worms. Please remove the fluffed birds and bring them inside where you can offer them supportive care. That means, keep them warms and hand feed them and monitor their condition.
They aren't going to get better without supportive care and a proper diagnosis of the problem and the medicines to treat them with. All your birds will need to be treated once you find out what the illness is.
The very best would be to take the sickest to a vet for diagnosis and ask for meads for all the birds.
You must act quickly as once birds show symptoms of illness, they are really sick.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm new to the hobby, and noticed yesterday I have 2 of my 12 birds that are "fluffed" out all the time, lethargic and eating very little if at all. These are young birds, I feed Nutriblend Green/gold, clean loft and they have been with me for about a week. Any ideas on what I should treat for, and should I treat just the 2 birds or all 12?

Thanks,
mb5322
Matt

You do need to get this taken care of asap-get a proper diagnosis, as time is of the essence. Possibly all your birds need to be treated, depends on the diagnosis.

Also youngsters are easily depleted of good gut bacteria under stress, so make sure to supply them with a good probiotic and put some Apple cider vinegar in their water (Tbls. per gl) They both help to establish good gut flora and that helps crowd out bad bacteria.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm maybe I'm just a worry wart, went out this morning and they were acting normal eating etc... I pulled them anyway and they are in the house on pro-biotics and apple cidar vinegar. I'm going to treat the entire loft with the apple cidar vinegar and a all in one medicine. Here is the link to the meds I ordered today, is this stuff any good or no?

Medicine link here: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/1315.html

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hmm maybe I'm just a worry wart, went out this morning and they were acting normal eating etc... I pulled them anyway and they are in the house on pro-biotics and apple cidar vinegar. I'm going to treat the entire loft with the " * apple cidar vinegar and a all in one medicine. Here is the link to the meds I ordered today, is this stuff any good or no?

Medicine link here **: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/1315.html
* Make sure to get the organic apple cider vinegar from the health food store (Braggs), it is the potent one.

**This is a treament/preventive for several different health issues, and may or may not help. It is always best to get a diagnosis and then treat with the drug of choice for the specific issue. There are different drugs in that package, they may not even need.

Keep a close eye on them and see how they do, what does their poop look like?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hmm maybe I'm just a worry wart, went out this morning and they were acting normal eating etc... I pulled them anyway and they are in the house on pro-biotics and apple cidar vinegar. I'm going to treat the entire loft with the apple cidar vinegar and a all in one medicine. Here is the link to the meds I ordered today, is this stuff any good or no?

Medicine link here: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/1315.html
No. I don't think it is. You don't even know what the problem is. All in one doesn't have enough of any one product to really do anything except help whatever is going on, build up a resistance. Whne I showed my vet an all in one product a few years ago, she just laughed and said...that won't do anything!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. I don't think it is. You don't even know what the problem is. All in one doesn't have enough of any one product to really do anything except help whatever is going on, build up a resistance. Whne I showed my vet an all in one product a few years ago, she just laughed and said...that won't do anything!

Ok thanks, and thanks for everyone's help so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts