Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello friends i need help with my sick pigeons 3 already had died on me all of them have lose droppings and had lose weight and stared to limp i suspected is paratyphoid they loss desired to fly too I vaccinated them yesterday with sal-bac I ordered Bird Sulfa and (Metronidazole) Fish-Zole they should be here tomorrow but don't know how to dose this medicine any help and suggestions are more than welcome as I'm new to the pigeon hobby here are some pictures of the droppings

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Sorry to hear your birds are sick but glad you ordered medications for them.
When you receive the meds tomorrow let us know what dosage they are. They generally do come with instructions but if not we'll figure it out.
You will have to medicate all your birds.
For now, please isolate the sick ones form the healthy ones, keep the sick ones warm and well hydrated.

Reti

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is it possible for you to bring a poop sample to the vet to have it checked? Better if you know for sure what you are treating for, and what to treat with.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Have you gotten any new birds lately. Have you been getting mice in your loft, that you know of?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible for you to bring a poop sample to the vet to have it checked? Better if you know for sure what you are treating for, and what to treat with.
well there is not avian vet near where I live so thats no an option thank you for fast respond

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Any vet can do the tests, or send them to the lab. It doesn't have to be an avian vet. It's just that you get better and faster results when you know what you're treating for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you gotten any new birds lately. Have you been getting mice in your loft, that you know of?
not all my birds are the same since i got them and mice are no a problem my loft is seal do you think it can be some other virus like PMV I did vaccinated for PMV before so thats why i thing it can be paratyphoid

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Denicanfx, I will keep an eye on you thread and when you get the meds in I will help you with dosing. Have you separated out the ill birds and can you post up a photo of them, you may have to offer to hand feed them as that dropping looks like they are getting fluids, but the dropping looks to be mostly bile, meaning that particular bird may not be eating much, you need to check on this.

Karyn

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Denicanfx, I will keep an eye on you thread and when you get the meds in I will help you with dosing. Have you separated out the ill birds and can you post up a photo of them, you may have to offer to hand feed them as that dropping looks like they are getting fluids, but the dropping looks to be mostly bile, meaning that particular bird may not be eating much, you need to check on this.

Karyn
medicine is here just got it please help me with how to dose them
Thank you so much for you reply

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
First you will also need a 1cc syringe, the kind without a needle attached to give the meds once mixed, if you do not have one, tonight you can use an eyedropper and drops method, but best get one first thing in the morning to be accurate in dosing.

The method is the same for both. Let's start with the Bird-Sulfa. Take one of the pills in the bottle and crush it up into as fine a powder as you can, I use a shot-glass and the end of a small rounded kitchen knife as my mortar and pestle to do this. Once crushed you will add 10mL of pancake syrup to the crushed powder, this will be 2 cooking teaspoons worth (you must use a cooking teaspoon and not a common flatware teaspoon). Stir well, let sit cover for 20 minutes, stir well again and you will have a 4.8% suspension to dose with (48mg/mL).

Now do the same with the Fishzole, except use 2 pills (they will be 250mg each), add 10mL of pancake syrup, stir, wait, stir and you will have a 5% Metronidazole suspension to dose with, (50mg/mL).

I will give you dosing for a 300 gram pigeon, if you post up an exact weight(s) we can fine tune the dosing.

You will dose both at the rare of 50mg/kg BID (twice a day). So, this means that you will give a 300g bird 0.30cc (15mg) (this is the third line on a 1cc syringe, which is roughly 6 drops) of each medicine every 12 hours. If you are using an eye dropper to night 6 drops of each and they can be given at the same time, or apart if this suits you better. Give these for 7 days, then we'll reassess at that time.

Karyn

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Says in his first post paratyphoid, but because a vet is not involved to run tests, and the droppings have the look of an ill bird, since he wanted to run both the Metronidazole and Trimethoprim/Sulfa (Bird-Sulfa) I thought it may be wise just to let him go ahead, as it may not be what he thinks and this combination of meds will cover a pretty wide spectrum of illnesses.

Karyn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts