Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I find this place really helpful as I read many things and acquire knowledge of amazing things about pigeon that I didn't know of. I really enjoy reading all this useful informative stuff. Thanks to all the kind people here who take the time to help and assist others, I know about pigeons and birds more than ever.

So I might have a problem here. My Pigeons sometimes stay fluffed up with their eyes shut and two of them even scratch their eyes occasionally. One even has swollen eyes. I thought that was due to the parasites on its body so I dusted it with Propoxur and it seemed to disappear. But it has reappeared again. One of my bird even has a low hanging wing on the left. But for the most part they eat and drink well and remain active flying here and there and cooing and billing. One of my pigeons takes a long flight everyday. Its on a few occasional events that they remain fluffed up with their eyes shut. Should I be seriously worried? I'm new to this all. So please help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:)
-Ash

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Ash,
Propoxur dust is not suitable for use on pigeons. Wash your birds most immediately under running water unless they may lose their eyesight. Also they may develop skin irritations. They might have developed it already but you couldn't see it because of the feathers.
GENTLY squirt water into their eyes. Put your birds in the bathroom and release the shower and let them sit under there for 15 mins so they bath thoroughly. Your birds will be fine in three days.

Many things in the market they sell for other animals/birds is unsafe for pigeons and doves. Pls ask before using

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for replying, Jass. No one really responds and I'm worried. We do not have a proper vet clinic in our town. The only one we have is not reliable. I do not trust the vet. One of my ill kittens died in the hands of that vet. I hope you can understand my anxiety and desperation.
You mean I should give them a bath and let them remain there in the water for 15 minutes? Should I do this everyday for 3 days? Also, is there any medication that I should treat them with after the bath?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Either bath them under under a running tap or let them bath under a shower. Sorry for not being clear in the previous post. Best would be to bath them in the morning everyday and them let them dry in the day. You don't need to rub the feathers much. Just keeping the bird under the tap/splashes of water will do.
No, med is needed for now.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I don't know about east but here in north every rural and suburban area/village/town where cattle is allowed to be kept and which has population more than 500 has its own govt. dispensary. There general check up and prescription are free of cost. Meet the govt vets there they will guide you where to get tests done if needed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh what we have here is no government service. No doubt. Its private and almost useless for avian treatment. Hopeless. And our town is a small one. I'd know if there was any other clinic. But anyway, Thanks so much for the advice. I'll do that from tomorrow for 3 days.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
How are your birds now?
It seems that yes, the birds are sick, they should never be fluffed with eyes closed, they should have tight feathers and relaxed. *Its normal to nap during the day but they all have to be doing the same thing at the same time, if one is the odd man out, then it is sick. *They should ONLY fluff when extremely cold. Have you noticed* if they are roosting fluffed on one or two feet, if two then sick for sure and needs treatment. If you can post pic of poop or birds relaxing , or a short vid, that may help us too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Uploading images

I'm sorry I'm not familiar to the things you're mentioning. What's 'imgur'? And how to use the IMG tag?
imgur is a site where you can upload pictures.
You go to imgur.com then on the top click "upload images" then you can select the pic you want to upload (simply drag and drop or click browse from computer and find it that way). Then you click start upload and wait for it to finish. After it uploads you get to a new site with some links on the site. Copy the "direct link (email & IM)". Then on this site (when posting a reply) you click the "Insert image" icon and paste that link.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imgur is a site where you can upload pictures.
You go to imgur.com then on the top click "upload images" then you can select the pic you want to upload (simply drag and drop or click browse from computer and find it that way). Then you click start upload and wait for it to finish. After it uploads you get to a new site with some links on the site. Copy the "direct link (email & IM)". Then on this site (when posting a reply) you click the "Insert image" icon and paste that link.
Okay. Thank you very much for the help:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.