Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sick Chinese owl here in Reno. She is young, about 3 months old. She was attacked by a Cooper's hawk nearly 4 weeks ago now and sustained an open inner leg/thigh injury, her leg was completely broken. I cleaned the wound well daily and kept her in the house until she regained strength. She developed grey/dark green/black stool that worsened with time, but still fed herself until about 1 week ago when she suddenly declined. All she wanted was a massive amount of water, which I added electrolytes to. I initially didn't feed her, hoping for a recovery but after 2.5 days I started to because she started losing weight. I suspected enteritis and started her on Bactrim (20mg twice daily). Her poop shortly after turned back to the normal green color with normal urates. I thought this was a good sign, but after 4 days of Bactrim she will not eat and sleeps ALL day. She is no longer interested in water. I have started to syringe feed her. Her crop does not seem to be emptying but it is soft.. I suspected candida so started her on some apple cider vinegar with water, hoping that will help. I'm really hoping there is something I can do for her, I don't want her to have to suffer much longer... she is such a sweet bird. The "avian vet" in town was useless unfortunately...
Thank you for your time,
Ava

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Have you checked way down in her throat with a small flashlight? Anything down there that could be canker? Although it doesn't always show in the throat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.. Yes, I have checked and there is no sign of canker. In fact, one of the details I left out was right after the hawk attack I placed her on a 4 in 1 that would eliminate canker. I stopped it after 6 days because she started developing the dark green watery odorous poop...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked way down in her throat with a small flashlight? Anything down there that could be canker? Although it doesn't always show in the throat.
Oh and also I had been adding a small amount of probiotics to her water when giving the bactrim.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The avan vet should have been able to check for canker and yeast. Is she getting enough to eat? Does she vomit? Green is not normal for poop. Could you pls post a photo? Hope she is all better soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The avan vet should have been able to check for canker and yeast. Is she getting enough to eat? Does she vomit? Green is not normal for poop. Could you pls post a photo? Hope she is all better soon.
The vet I saw supposedly has avian training but did not know what to do for diagnosis, he felt I should 'wait it out'. I looked up another vet here in town that other fanciers go to, she is closed until the weekend ends. I'm hoping it's not too late by then.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll post a picture of the poop in a bit. It's very scant now, I last fed her at noon, I don't want to overload her crop, it remains full and watery...:confused:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If she is drinking too much, then remove the drinker and just offer it to her several times a day, but don't let her over drink. That is often a symptom of canker. I would treat for canker with Metronidazole, 40 to 50 mg once daily for 10 days. 4 in ones aren't great. They don't contain enough of any one drug in them, and why treat for different things when a bird only needs to be treated for one thing? If she isn't eating enough, then she needs to be fed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If she is drinking too much, then remove the drinker and just offer it to her several times a day, but don't let her over drink. That is often a symptom of canker. I would treat for canker with Metronidazole, 40 to 50 mg once daily for 10 days. 4 in ones aren't great. They don't contain enough of any one drug in them, and why treat for different things when a bird only needs to be treated for one thing? If she isn't eating enough, then she needs to be fed.
As of yesterday she stopped wanting to eat or drink any water.. a big change, before she was always thirsty. Could it be advanced canker? I've put her through a lot already and am hesitant to start her on flagyl if it's not canker..
Ive never tried to check the stool microscopically for canker, but I have a microscope and could try to prepare a slide...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is a picture from tonight. Still passing a good bit of water as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yellow urates can be canker, or could be something else. You need to get food into her.
The probiotics don't do much good while on an antibiotic. You need to give them for a few days after treatment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yellow urates can be canker, or could be something else. You need to get food into her.
The probiotics don't do much good while on an antibiotic. You need to give them for a few days after treatment.
Okay, I started her on 40mg flagyl qd. I also syringe feed her 3x daily. She's only able to take about 10ml of food bc her crop still won't empty, but she is pooping...
Any idea how long until improvement would be seen if it is canker?
Thanks again,
Ava

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If the crop isn't emptying, then don't give food. Instead, give some warmed baby apple sauce mixed with a bit of warm water. That should help the crop ph and get it moving. You don't want to add new food to old. Try the apple sauce till it empties. Then what have you been feeding her?
It can take a while to see improvement if canker, especially if she has had it for a while. Metro can cause vomiting, so give it after feeding, even if just giving the apple sauce.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the crop isn't emptying, then don't give food. Instead, give some warmed baby apple sauce mixed with a bit of warm water. That should help the crop ph and get it moving. You don't want to add new food to old. Try the apple sauce till it empties. Then what have you been feeding her?
It can take a while to see improvement if canker, especially if she has had it for a while. Metro can cause vomiting, so give it after feeding, even if just giving the apple sauce.
Thanks both of you for replying..
I was feeding her exact baby bird formula with a few drops of acv up until now. I logged back in to inquire about if I should feed her when her crop has still not emptied. Her poops are becoming more rare, and are smaller, especially when I withhold food.
The crop several days ago was very hard and not emptying. I stopped feeding solid food at that point. Now, is full and liquid, and she hasn't been fed since lunch (a small lunch, at that, maybe 7ml...). I don't think more food will fit in the crop comfortably. I'm not saying I would but is crop aspiration ever necessary? She is weak and I worry about her not having any food... here's a picture of her. She is puffed up and only sleeps.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also, just more to note, she originally was ill secondary to that leg wound... She recovered, then after a wet rain storm fell ill. My loft is clean, not overcrowded, and no one else is sick. She is not even 3 months old yet. Her sibling is well and just starting to try to coo. I have only had to treat one bird for canker in 3 years, and he was gifted to me from a show and had been stressed... I bleached everything and treated my entire loft with the 4 in 1 after that since I knew he shared the drinker, no other birds fell ill.
Sorry for he excessive writing. I have a background in medicine and hate not knowing what I can do to help her.. Could this be yeast not canker?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know how avian vets diagnose? Throat swab? (No growth to swab..) poop? I guess I'll make a slide just in case something pops up..

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, it could be yeast rather than canker. Just that canker is more common, so usually treat for that first. Also causes a bad smell, and excessive drinking. Very often canker will cause a blockage in the crop and cause sour crop. But yeast can cause that to happen also. A vet will usually take a swab to test, and often remove some of what is in the crop and look at it. A vet would be best for testing. But if you can get Nystatin for yeast, you can try that.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Just wanted to add that you wouldn't try the apple sauce until the crop did empty some. You can't give it on a full crop of course. It would have to go down some first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just wanted to add that you wouldn't try the apple sauce until the crop did empty some. You can't give it on a full crop of course. It would have to go down some first.
Thank you Jay. I'm having my husband take her to a different avian vet that sees pigeons tomorrow. I did prepare a fecal and crop slide, I did not see any yeast buds or hyphae, all that was notable was a small amount of cocci bacteria. I took a picture of the microscope slide through my phone of the fecal slide and will post in a minute...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.