Pigeon-Talk banner

sick dove?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Columba livia! 
#1 · (Edited)
my female ringneck is acting strange today. she didnt leave the nest this morning so the male could take over sitting. she seems to be tired as her eyes close often. she and the male were both in a cooing fit and they havent ever done that. neither one would stop for about ten mins straight then after a few minutes would start up again. there is also i sour smell coming from her (i think) i havent been able to check her out much though because she is sitting and i dont want to disturb her. i was waiting for them to switch out but like i said she wont get up. im not sure what wrong with her. i havent actually seen her poo but the ones on the bottom all look normal.
any ideas on what i should do to help determine what if anything is wrong?
and help would be greatly appriciated.:(

EDIT: she was also making a weird sqwak noise i have never heard a bird cough so i dont know if that is what it was. but i just thought i add that in.

#2 ·
my female ringneck is acting strange today. she didnt leave the nest this morning so the male could take over sitting. she seems to be tired as her eyes close often. she and the male were both in a cooing fit and they havent ever done that. neither one would stop for about ten mins straight then after a few minutes would start up again. there is also i sour smell coming from her (i think) i havent been able to check her out much though because she is sitting and i dont want to disturb her. i was waiting for them to switch out but like i said she wont get up. im not sure what wrong with her. i havent actually seen her poo but the ones on the bottom all look normal.
any ideas on what i should do to help determine what if anything is wrong?
and help would be greatly appriciated.:(
It is ok if you take her off the nest and she will poop then, I would reccommend it. I take mine off the nest everyday and put her in front of her treat seeds so she has her share. as far as the sour smell, put some ACV in their water, a few tablspoons to a gallon, you may want to add probiotics to the diet. they sell it at the pet smart or pet co.

#4 ·
ok i am going to pick her off of the nest and see if its normal. ill check out and see if i can figure out the smell too. what is ACV?
IF she smells bad from her beak and she is making a funny noise, she may have sour crop or another crop issue/infection.
is there something i should look for? like do i need to open her beak and look for something?

thanks for the help guys

#6 · (Edited)
Gosh, I hope everything's ok.:( good luck!

#9 ·
Good good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.