Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A sick feather legged pigeon flew to my house with my pigeons today, it was in the garden and I picked it up, it was very thin and had no food in its crop. I took away from my pigeons and gave it some water it was very thirsty and drinking a lot. Then I gave it some food to fill its crop a little and it had no growths in its mouth. What could be wrong with it? Its droppings are a dark green colour with a little bit of white they are watery but not a lot, it sits with its chest/crop high and sits on its tail kind off, it falls over and trips easily but can still stand and fly a little and its neck seems to be a little long.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It is falling over because it is starved and weak, that is also why poop is dark green.

It needs WARMTH, first, keep out of drafts of air. Please follow these first responder instructions to save its life: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/1...s-incl2cnd-step-post-your-location-38776.html

PLEASE Keep separate from your pigeons. Once the weight is back on, it may or may not have other issues. I would also recommend giving it a good probiotic.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
If it has feathers on its legs, then it most likely isn't feral. Probably got lost and is starving.
He wouldn't know how to find food. Good thing you got him. After you do all that in the link Skyeking gave you, I would also treat for canker. Won't hurt him, and being lost, starving and scared, the trich level can easily go up and cause canker. The treatment can knock it back down again and probably prevent it.
Can you post a picture of the bird?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks I will do the above and I will post a pic later and you can tell me what breed you think it is

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Not to be contentious, but over the years have come accross many with feathered legs that were also feral. For how many generations, I don't know but at the point I was given them for rehab and release, definitely feral. Yet,
could be a newly lost bird as well.

Please do post pics and also update symptoms observed as changes or developments are noticed.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I agree that if a fancy breed with feathered legs got out and bred with a feral, then offspring could have feathered legs, or somewhere later on down the line, it could come out possibly. And as you go down through more generations, they would lose the feathering. but more common for it to be someones pigeon that got out. Have never seen a feral with feathered legs around here. Seeing a picture would help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts