Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female pigeon that has been sick for about over ten days now and does not seem to be getting any better. The first symptoms that she had were that after eating she started puking food out. Along with that her droppings became very green and runny.

I suspected it to be canker because before this I had another hen that was showing signs of the canker in the mouth and it had a lot of mucus around its nose and mouth. I separated that hen with the canker and treated her with Ronidazole 20% Powder for the five days. A few days into the treatment and she got better and the canker had disappeared. I also took the precaution to use the medication as a preventive and dosed my whole flock for two days as stated on the bag and used ACV in the water. A few days following that, I had noticed that the other hen started puking after she ate and she had green watery droppings. At first her appetite was good as she would go back and eat again however she did increase her water intake. Her behavior had changed as well but she did not have any yellow mucus in the mouth or any signs of excess saliva. She was definitely less active and not acting like her normal self and did not interact with her mate as much as she normally would.

I decided to separate her from the rest of my birds because she was getting worst. I did some research and suspected it to be coccidiosis or E-coli. I purchased some 4 in 1 tablets and gave it to her once a day for seven days. Yesterday was the last day of dosing and her droppings are still the same. She has defiantly lost a lot weight and is not able to digest any food that she eats but she would only drink but surprisingly she is still able to fly. I have been trying to feed a little amount of seeds but she would end up throwing them up. Now she has stopped eating on her own. Over the past few days she would go through the motion of puking and would expel green mucus or otherwise not puke up anything at all. Her throat swells with air and she seems to be very tired and inactive.

I recently just received some Dr. Pigeon probiotics from Foy's and I am dosing her and my loft with it.This is one of my favorite hens so I hope she recovers after the probiotics. Her mate is awaiting her recovery so If anyone has any advice or has any suggestions on what to do next to help her it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Hard to say...optimal would be taking her to an avian vet who could test for coccidiosis, other parasites, bacterial infections, etc. how old is your girl? Has she laid eggs? How do her droppings look? Hope she recovers soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have good news, after just one day the probiotics she is acting more lively. Her droppings have become more solid and browner which is a great sign and she is actually eating again. Though yesterday was a cooler day so that could be part of why she began eating again also. I've noticed pigeons eat more when its cooler out but on hot days they tend to eat less. She is a 2016 hen so i would say she is a year and a half old. I will keep her on the probiotics for a few more days and hopefully she fully recovers. So far I am impressed by the Dr Pigeon's Rejuvenation. How many days do you think it will be alright to reintroduce her into the flock again? Are there any precautions that I should take?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I would have suspected canker, where the other bird had it. Would have been better to flock treat for 5 days. You are really better off getting meds for the individual things, rather than the 4 in 1's. Don't really work as well as usually not enough of each drug in them for what you are treating them for. Besides, if you are treating for one thing, you don't need to be giving them drugs that are for something else. Wait till she is eating and drinking her normal amount, and her droppings look good before putting her back with her mate. But still watch her to see that she doesn't go back to vomiting or not eating. If she does, I would treat for canker with Metronidazole.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That's great that she's responding to the probiotics, they are fab for introducing good bacteria back into their system. A few drops of Calciboost wouldn't go amiss in the water too, especially for the egg layers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts