Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the guy that owns the clothing store by me that always feeds the birds, he brought me two tiny babies a few weeks ago, pin feathers and all! One had very bad canker, but a few days of flagyl and that baby coughed up this HUGE lump of canker, the size of a grape, in this tiny baby!! you could obviously see the lump on the throat, i was worried it had eaten through airhole because the breathing was very iffy for a while, but its better now. They are older and are going to be released in this ladies backyard in cambridge, massachusetts. Movin on up in the zipcode department for sure!
same guy called me and said there was a bird that was sleeping in front of his store, and it would fly away when he approached, very strange place for a pigeon to sleep, very BUSY sidewalk. this was 2 days ago, he found the bird yesterday doing the same thing, but this time he caught it, he tried to throw the bird to get it to fly and the bird just landed with a THUMP. Barely walks, just sits there, doesnt eat or drink. I dont see any canker which is the usual culprit this time of year. The droppings are starvation green, the inside of mouth isnt that bright pink that it should be, it is more of a whitish pink.
Dont know what meds to hit this one with, any advice here?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it is really hard to hit it with meds when you don't know what is wrong, supportive care at this point I would say. then perhaps get a fecal on his droppings. or if you wanted to broad spectrum just do that. but before giving meds, see if he will rally with food and warmth and rest.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Worms and coccida keep them grounded.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
"see if he will "rally" with food and warmth and rest?" I'm assuming a typo??
well excuse me...you said it was not canker.....I just dont believe in throwing meds at something, could be weak from starvation....anyway good luck with the poor thing. I was just trying to help. Im sure there will be better people here to help you than me.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Moxie, those pale mucous membranes you're seeing could be indicative of anemia. Here's some info on that: http://www.californiaavianlaboratory.com/anemia.html

Can you hydrate him with fluids and then feed him small amounts to start?

If you are going to do meds, I think I would do an antibiotic (you can use a sulfa to cover both bacteria and coccidia). Nystatin wouldn't hurt either.

Jennifer

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I would be astounded if the bird doesn't have canker too. Just because you can't see and yellow nobs in the throat or mouth, doesn't mean it doesn't have internal canker. I would treat for that too.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Charis, i thought of that too, thanks! Was just saying it wasnt obvious canker. I did give the flagyl. Just wasnt sure about what to do here...
Spiritwings, i wasnt typing that to be mean or anything, i think you misread me, as often happens on here! I was just trying to ask what you meant when you wrote that word "rally." Really, i appreciate ANY advice.
That first day and into the next, he threw up constantly, and anything i gave him was thrown right back up. The heat and rest seemed to help, so i fed him very thin kaytee and very little at a time, he is holding it down now. I did give him flagyl thiking canker deeper down, and nyastatin, and some tetracycline. Something seems to be helping......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts