Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found a sick pigeon at the bottom of the steps of the entrance to the subway yesterday night. He was fluffed up and huddling at the edge of a puddle, when I nudged him with my toe he didn't move.

I wrapped him up in a shirt I happened to have with me, this is his condition:
1. Diarrhea with a swollen vent (it was poo encrusted too so I soaked him in a few inches of warm water with a little salt and worked it off and he dried off near the radiator)
2. Difficulty keeping balance (he also never sits and has been standing, fluffed up). If I pick him up and put him back down on his feet he tips forward onto his breast and kind of catches himself with his beak to right himself, and is unsteady on the few occasions he turns around or moves.
3. Occasional shivering (but I think maybe that had to do with the three pigeon flies I got off him)
4. This is probably unrelated but his left eye is cloudy and he keeps it shut constantly- his right eye is clear and appears healthy.

He doesn't seem to have trouble breathing, nor is there any discharge around his eyes or nostrils. He is depressed, hasn't eaten and appears thin (his keel bone sticks out), has hardly been drinking water (took two sips in his bath and I've been dripping rehydration water onto his bill or dipping it in a spoonful and he takes little sips), his poo is a brownish color, very loose and just recently his latest poo looked pinkish, possibly bloody?

I scheduled a vet appointment later today at 4:30 but I am a little skeptical of their avian experience and so I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some ideas as to what he may be suffering from as well. I've been some reading and think possibly e.coli or salmonella?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been giving him the hydration water solution and theres also a dish of bird seed he hasn't touched. He is in a towel lined box. I'll go heat some rice in a sock.

If you think taking him to the vet is a waste since they will euthanize him, then what should I do instead?

His breathing looks labored now, back and wings rising with each breath but not wheezing.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this nedy bird.

Have you felt his keel bone? He may be starving, not that that is his main issue, but he will die from hunger if he is not hand fed.

Have you looked down his throat, do you see any obstruction, anything other then pink?

I think you should take him to a vet, as long as they will treat him and won't euthanize him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sad news, he just died five minutes ago :( His head started stargazing and twisting around, he spread his wings and tried to flap a few times and died.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Jaimie.... you did what you could. Clearly you had boned up on the correct steps to take.
Sounds like he was just too weak and compromised by the time you found him/her. Once the open-mouth breathing begins...it's almost always curtains soonafter.

Thanks for caring. No doubt he passed in a much more peaceful and loving environment than he would have otherwise. Sometimes, this is all we can do...help them on to a better place, where he doesn't have to suffer any longer.

Just for future reference...http://nycprc.org/

....use the telephone hotline, not the e-mail. They are usually very responsive.

Thanks for caring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts