Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My neighbor just brought this little fela to me and I am lost at what to do. I am limited on what I can give him even if I did know what was wrong. As you can see it is fairly warm today and he is all fluffed up, his eyes are droopy and he is bobbing his head slowly. I am not ready for this but will give it a try but I hate the heart break that could follow even if I give it a good try. help me out here I think it is already in shock. I know it if a feral and it probally came of one of the window sills at the hotel, I watch them all the time when I go to town. anyway I am going to get a cage and set up the heat pad and go from there. I can start it on Oxy-mycin 10 at 1/4 teaspoon/gal if you think that will help but I don't have a feeding tube.

I put it here just to get it posted I know you will move it >Kevin

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think it is PMV - check plumage, typical for the virus. You need to hydrate him ASAP. Water with honey and pinch of salt if nothing else available. Keep him far from your birds and separated. Hand feeding is a must because he’ll not be able to feed alone.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
canker

make sure to check his throat for canker also, is he thin??
Yes I checked for canker and it seems to be clear. I got it to take some water but it will not take food yet. it deos seem skinny to me but I am not sure what that should be. I don't have a feeding tube but I should have one here, even if I did I would not know what I am doing. I don't think this little guy has it in him to make it threw the night but I will try. Again like I said I hate the heart breaks I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to this young.
PS: I put the oxymicin 10 in the water with vitamins

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
till you can get a tube or feeding needle, you should shove in a bunch of thawed peas and corn.
to tell if he's skinny, you need to feel the keel bone, it should have muscle going right to, it should not feel sharp, you should only be able to feel the outer edge of it, if you can pinch either side, he's skinny.
here are feeding needles i use a #14 curved attached to a luer lock syringe
and i feed kaytee exact hand feeding formula
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/577/stainless-steel-feeding-needles.htm
where are you located??

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes I checked for canker and it seems to be clear. I got it to take some water but it will not take food yet. it deos seem skinny to me but I am not sure what that should be. I don't have a feeding tube but I should have one here, even if I did I would not know what I am doing. I don't think this little guy has it in him to make it threw the night but I will try. Again like I said I hate the heart breaks I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to this young.
PS: I put the oxymicin 10 in the water with vitamins
Treat for canker. ...I guarantee you that it is infected.
It is critical that you put the baby on a heating pad set on low and hydrate after the baby is warmed as per instructions already given.
I dopubt the baby knows how to eat on it's own and you will need to hand feed. The corn and pea method will be great after the baby is warmed and hydrated. I'll go get the instructions.

Here they are from a another post....

If you are seeing bright green poop, it could be the bird isn't eating enough on it's own and may need to be hand fed. It also could be ill. Often the young birds will try to eat the seed and so folks assume they are eating when they really aren't.
It would be great if you could post a picture of the poop so we can give you a better opinion.
You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. I f it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
feral

Unfortunitly this little guy passed away. I guess he was brought to me just a little to late for me to help.>Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts