Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a starter lot of a dozen white homers for about a month now. They are flying well around the loft and I have taken them on a couple close by tosses. A few days ago when I opened my trap and allowed the birds to get some exercise, I had one bird stay behind. And everyday This bird has no desire to fly. I noticed today its droppings were a greenish color and watery. Obviously something is bothering him but I have no clue what to give him. These birds have been recieving apple cider vinegar, garlic in there water and probiotics, on a regular intervals. I have not yet given a dewormer, coccidiosis, canker treatment. Can anyone suggest a treatment? thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Separate the sick guy and keep a close eye on the rest....worm them all if you are able. Check for canker, (look down the throat etc. to make sure it is pink and healthy). Is the birds breathing normal? Any watery discharge from nose or mouth? It is hard to choose a treatment without a diagnosis....

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Check out this site and see if you can match up any more symptoms.

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/index.php

Is the bird thin?
Do separate, as Kippermom suggested, so you can monitor food intake and the poop and how it looks. It could be that you will need to begin hand feeding if the bird isn't eating enough.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed his crop appears to be protruding out more than usual and with greenish droppings, I'm thinking canker. thanks for the link to chevita.com it is very detailed. If it is canker, can anyone one suggest a mortality rate? I just ordered Globals multi mix, since I have heard several positive reccomendations.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I noticed his crop appears to be protruding out more than usual and with greenish droppings, I'm thinking canker. thanks for the link to chevita.com it is very detailed. If it is canker, can anyone one suggest a mortality rate? I just ordered Globals multi mix, since I have heard several positive reccomendations.
The bird will recover from canker if treated.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Multi-Mix is good, but it's a multi-purpose product. If your bird has canker, then I would go with Spartrix as the first choice for treatment.

Unless canker has been allowed to grow to horrid proportions in a bird, Spartrix, Metronidazole, Ronidazole, and other products can nip it in the bud. If the canker is advanced, it is much more difficult to save the bird, but it can be done.

Terry

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
When will you receive the meds? If it takes a week it might be too late.
I would also follow the advice and get some Spartrix.

Reti

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
meds will be here within 2 days. I have been closely watching him and he is eating well on his own and actually wanted to fly today. I'm second guessing my initial diagnosis of canker and now think coccidiosis. Without assistance I couldn't thoroughly examine his throat. its sometimes tough being a one man operation, but I feel confident I can get him back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts