Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am a bird rehabber have been for 2 years trained in medicine too.
I am really struggling to know what's wrong with my pigeon
He fell off a roof and is emaciated I got him on Tuesday, he has put on
30grams and has been taking feeds well been flying and been looking better with perfect poo!
His poo has recently gone extremely
Runny and bright green then dark green, he is puffed up constantly, has a slight
Head tremor when he moves, is always asleep and has vomited during the night.
I have seen these symptoms before but on admission not after being in care for a few days. Please can someone help I am very concerned :(
Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Evan he's on tribrissen for coccidiosis. He was eating loads earlier in week but last 2 days he hasn't eaten independently. I have been giving lectade to flush his system as he had vomited in night.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I am no pro on this stuff but I would think having him on coxi meds is a good idea, The thing With coxi as I understand is it kills their apetite so you may need to resort to hand feeding to ensure they get the food to build the strength they need to fight the disease. I have also found when birds seem to be drinking too much that its good to put something in the water they do not like, A little tectonic, Maybe salt or something thats non harmful but prevents them going crazy may help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah he's been crop fed since he came in as he's a emaciated juvenile, he's also had omnivit in his water for the last few days but not drinking either. I'm reallt worried about the head tremor, I consulted with a local rehabber and she thinks its poisoning so I'm not sure :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
he may have poisoning, as he threw up and his droppings are watery. Adsorbents that get bad stuff out of his body are usefull here. I heard good things about Enterosgel, but I don't know if it sold in UK. Your local pharmacy should have some adsorbents you can use.

You could also check out the inside of his mouth and throat with a flashlight. See if he got any white/yellow/strange stuff or sores in there.

Tremors can be indicative of the central nervous system problem affected by head injury or some bacterial infection. Poisoning is also a possibility.

P.S. for bacterial infection (salmonella and other like stuff), you will need antibiotics like amoxycillin or ciprofloxacin. You can try adsorbents for 3 days and see if they help. If second day of adsorbents don't bring an improvement, start up the antibiotics. I can write here the correct dose and duration for both amoxy and cipro e.t.c., depending on what you can get.

..and don't give him salt...salt is harmfull for them, especially in large amounts.

I'd surely remove that lactade as well..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi dietmar, he's on 0.06 tribrissen, 0.4 flagyl-s for trich, and 15mls of activated charcoal spread throughout the day for poisoning.
I have amoxicillin but can it be turned into oral suspension? If so then how? Would love dosages etc as its not a drug I use regularly. The lectade is to keep him hydrated whilst his body gets rid of the nasties as he's not eating. Will add a photo to my album on profile it will be called Freddie Day 5 and its what he currently looks like if you could take a look. Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amoxy 250 mg -1 tab into powder and mix with 5 ml water and give 0,5 ml by beak 2 times a day during feedings. 10-14 days.

Flagil up to 7 days. What dose are you using for it btw?
Did you see any visible signs of tricho?

Stuff like Natamycin or Nystatin should be added to antibiotics. It provides a cover since antibiotics tend to generate a growth in candida and alike.

If he is not eating, than he must be force-fed. I like syringes for feeding, but other people preffer to handfeed seeds into the beak.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thank you ill do the amoxicillin. He's on 0.4 ml flagyl-s yes he had small white spots in his throat and beak. I have been crop feeding him since he came in as hes so thin on tropican mixed with probizyme and calcilux it's what I rear all my baby pigeons on but have stopped tropican feed for a few days to let the charcoal do its thing :) thanks for your help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Metronidazol (Flagil) 1/4 tab mix into 5 ml water, by beak 0,5 ml 2 times a day. up to 10-12 days if it works.

White spots can actually be candida and not tricho. Tricho can also often combine with candida.
You need to start Natamycin or Nystatin (because they treat candida) in addition to antibiotics. Let me know if you got it.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
In cases where diagnosis is based on guesswork I find it useful to take a poop sample and throat swab and send them to Retford Poultry for analysis, then (on the advice of my avian vet) I treat with Baytril and metronidazole as the vet says this combination covers the widest spectrum of bacteria and would also tackle canker and hexamita.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/postaltesting.htm

Examination of a fresh sample under a microscope should establish whether coccidia, worms, trich or hexamita are part of the problem.

Would you be OK about the centre being added to my list of pigeon friendly rescue centres? If not can I add you to the unpublished list I use only for personal referrals?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, I have done 2 faecal samples on him since he's been in care and he has been struggling with a heavy burden of coccidiosis, the trich has cleared up so the flagyl has worked :) I went to see vet with him yesterday and she was very suprised that I had pulled him through it as he's so thin but he's pretty much back to normal now yay so thanks for all your help.
Hi feefo yes that's absolutely fine :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts