Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just brought back small feral I found today while I was sitting feeding a feral flock.
I noticed this little one hiding hunched up under a bin. When I put seeds down it didn't react as the others initially, but then did come out and picked up a few. Also I saw it go to a nearby fountain and have a drink. So that seemed ok.
The trouble is it just sat quietly right in the middle of the green afterwards, and when I walked passed later, it was still there although all the others had gone.

SO.... I couldn't leave it in case it was sick. I caught it by throwing my jacket over it, and have brought it home for some TLC.

It's very small compared to the others and it's cere is pinkish. Does this mean it's a youngster?

No signs of canker in it's mouth, It's very thin and quiet. I've given it some wormer and calcium in it's water and put it in a carrier out in the sun for now.

I really don't know if it's sick, it just didn't seem to act the same as all the other ferals. I hope I did the right thing in bringing it home for a while.

Is there anything else I can look for in the way of illness?

Thanks,

Janet

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Watch him, see how much/how often he is eating and what the poops look like. Even for youngster his behavior is a little "off". Usually they are not quiet and they do get hungry.
If you have a spartrix pill you can give him half of it.

Reti

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Janet,

It needed picking up and I think you are doing all the right things. As Reti suggested you could give 1/2 a spartrix .

Any chance of a photo of piggie and poop?

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Just lost my post, so try again.

Have just found a problem. I was examining the wings and where I can feel the joint on the one elbow, on the other the skin feels swollen/puffy, I can't feel the joint. Also when I parted the feathers to have a look I only touched it lightly and it bled.
I don't think it's a puncture wound though.

Shall I start on anit-biotics in case?

Poops don't seem too bad. Not starving just slightly greenybrown.

I've given a Spartrix now thanks,

Janet

Will try for photo just have to be out for a couple of hours, so will post it asap.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would start on antibiotics, especially if you suspect paratyphoid, you might even put some topical antibiotic cream where the baby is bleeding.

Thank you for taking in this little one.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Here's the pictures to date:

POOP

PIGEON

On the last picture this is the underneath of the wing. It is swollen and yellow in the centre along the bone. It's swollen straight down from the top where it bled to the other edge of the wing.
If I gently move the wing I can feel it click, I wonder if there is a break in there.
She holds the wing in a perfect position and I can extend it ok, she doesn't react as if in pain.

She's very docile and makes no attempt to fly.

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The poops are nice. Is the affected joint hot?

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The poops are nice. Is the affected joint hot?

Cynthia
No, it's just much fatter than the other.
It's not just one spot that's swollen, ie: the joint area, it's more the whole length of the bone running down the of the inside of the wing.
Is it the humerous that comes from the top of the wing? it runs the length nearest the body as opposed to the ulna side. I hope that makes sense !

My fingers on on her chest if that helps show where the bone is. I can try a photo a little further away, that may show it better.

Janet

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Janet.....Thanks for picking up this bird.....she sure did need your help. The poops look fine. Is the bone you are referring to the one that connects the wing to the shoulder? Have you attempted to see in a restricted space if the bird can fly at all? The wound itself looks like it maybe a cat injury, that is propably infected. That would be the cause of the yellowing all the way down. I suggest you start with antibotics immediately. What type of meds do you have?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Louise,

It doesn't seem to attempt to fly. When I first spotted it, I sat and watched it for an hour sussing out how to catch it. When I stood up and walked nearer it only walked away and now I have it in a bathroom, and have stood it on a seat to take it's picture, and bless, she just stood there.
Yes it is that bone.

I have some Noroclav, better known as Synulox, not sure if it's the best one for this. It's just gone out of date but hopefully still ok to use.
I have some Baytril also.

Wish I had your vet services here at the moment ! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Probably worth trying the Noroclav if there's a possibility it may be an injury from some predator.

I'm definitely not up on the external form of paratyphoid, but my understanding is that swellings or boils would usually be at the joints?

John

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you John.

I was just wondering which to go for as I noticed you mentioned on another thread to use Baytril for Paratyphoid.

I don't know exactly what is wrong but as there isn't an obvious looking boil, I think you're right, I'll treat it as an infection of some kind for now and see how she goes.

Thank you all for your input.

Janet

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Pigeon's wing is much worse today. More swollen and has turned a dark greeny blue colour, I assume this is bruising. I have bathed it and she is on Noroclav.

Tonight when I went to medicate her I noticed her wing has dropped considerably. She also is just lying down, if she does stand, she tends to hold the leg up on that side.

Another worry is she has started to make a high pitched squeak when I pick her up. That is making me nervous, as the last time I had a pigeon do that, (Tweet), she eventually died from respiratory complications.

I was wondering if I should give her some anti-fungal meds I had for Tweet, in case there is something similar going on or is that not advisable if I don't know for certain. As the vet didn't really know what was wrong with Tweet in the end, I'm not convinced he would be able to diagnose anything if I took this one.

Janet

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
That wing needs to be set.
The high pitched squeak might be bacause he is still young.
An antifungal would do nothing for him unless he has a yeast infection since we don't know if he does have it, better not give it.

Reti

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

This little pidgey, (now called Bonnie), is coming on well.

The swelling on her wing has reduced and tends to be more localised in one place now, as opposed to the whole length of the bone as before. She has finished her ant-biotics and I have been giving her Arnica and Rhuta to help with the bruising and any ligament injury.
I let her out of her cage indoors occasionally to give her time to stretch her wings.
Yesterday I had her locked in a room for safety from the dogs. My daughter went to go in and I warned her there was an injured pigeon that couldn't fly on the floor, so to take care not to tread on her !!
She looked at me a bit puzzled and said, 'if she can't fly, how come she's on the window sill?' :confused:
That's the first time Bonnie has tried to fly, so could be she will fly again.

My problem now is she's getting really agitated being locked up and is constanty rushing at the cage door, and today she kept trying to fly at the door. She isn't ready to be released as her wing still has a way to go.
How long should I keep her in quarantine to be sure she is healthy before letting her mix with my residents outside? This is the only place I can put her so she can practice her flying in safety.

When she's agitated she still makes this shrill squeaking sound. I have no idea if she is a youngster and if this is a normal sound as opposed to a respiratory squeak. I would have thought if she had an infection it would have come to something by now, (eleven days), and she is getting stronger by the day, however I don't want to put my others at risk.

Any thoughts?

Janet

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I think you've got a baby there. Not a BABY baby, but a young one all the same. The wattle hasn't even turned white yet. I would guess that's why the squeaking and she/he is probably about 2 months old. Could even be at or close to the stage where the voice changes.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you've got a baby there. Not a BABY baby, but a young one all the same. The wattle hasn't even turned white yet. I would guess that's why the squeaking and she/he is probably about 2 months old. Could even be at or close to the stage where the voice changes.
Just an update on Bonnie.

I think you are right about her being a real youngster. Today I took her down to the shed, still in her cage to meet the gang, but she was so determined to get amongst the other birds, she wouldn't settle. So I let her out. The first thing she did was have a bath !!
Then when she spotted Snowy, my big white banded bird, Bonnie went right up to her and squeaked, must have thought she was mum !! ;)
Unfortunately all she got was a peck instead of a warm welcome, and the others weren't any more welcoming to her either. Poor thing, she went and huddled in the top corner with her back to them all. I've left her overnight in the hope she finds her confidence.
It worries me as to how she'll cope if I send her back to live in the streets where I found her, assuming her wing gets stronger. She's not had much experience by the looks of it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Poor thing, she went and huddled in the top corner with her back to them all. I've left her overnight in the hope she finds her confidence.
I think I would check periodically to make sure she isn't being mercilessly bullied by the others (I guess she can fly well enough to get well away from them?), or else, I would take her back inside for tonight and wait to reintroduce her tomorrow assuming you can keep a better eye on things in the shed during the day rather than at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts