Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pigeon, and it's been six day since she came in to my home. Since she had been mistreated before I am giving her space but recently I noticed something is wrong.
1. She is sneezing here and there. Not too much, so I thought it was okay.
2. She is all fluffed up in a corner, doesn't move, and usually on one leg. And this is where I started to get worried.
3. She makes a deep grunting noise while opening her chest vide. (Mostly at night, or when she thinks I don't look.)
But other then that she is eating and drinking well, her droppings seems healthy, her skin is fine no patches even though she shed a little feather when she first came in. She refuses to eat fruits and vegetables but I am doubtful if she even seen an plant before! So she just been eating mixed seeds (corn, lentils and such)
I don't know much about birds so I did my research and I am going to a vet today (around 9 hours later) but I still don't know if there is anything I can do, or did wrong. Is she just getting used to a new space or something really wrong?
Brown Shelf Bookcase Wood Shelving

(She chosen to be here and I just arrange a space there for her)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
A checkup at the vet sounds like a good option. Regular apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week keeps them healthy. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. You can also get probiotics and vitamins to add to her food. She will need calcium as she is kept indoors. Get liquid calcium with added vit D3. This will help prevent her getting eggbound when she starts laying eggs.

She is probably adjusting to her new environment. They feel safe when sleeping in the highest spot available. My pigeons love spinach, put down a leaf for her although it might take time for her to start eating greenery.

They also love chopped up raw unsalted peanuts (in moderation as this has a high fat content). First put some in with her food. You can use this treat to teach her to trust you. Hopefully one day she will eat this from your hand.

Below is a list of food you can offer her.
Recipe Ingredient Food Dish Cuisine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts