Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am in Buenos Aires and I 've just run into a pigeon who is very weak, very thin, and was just standing on the sidewalk. Seems to have a problem with one wing. I picked her up and she took her to my aparment. She was almost passing out and now seems to have recovered a bit. I offered her water and she did not drink. Her beak seems dirty. She seems too weak to eat. what should I do. I will take a better look at her, she may have been attacked by a cat, but I am not sure.

I will take a photo, look at her body and see if I can tell you something more. I do not have a syringe, but I will go get her at least I can offer her some water..Any other suggestion? Is there a place in Buenos Aires where I could take her, do we know??

Any help would be great. I can also be skype at eleonora.del.federico

Best

Eleonora

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have also sent a message to the one member I know of who lives in Buenos Aires.

For the time being, keep her in a warm, quiet place. if you have a room with heat. do that. If you have an electric blanket or pad, use that underneath a towel.

Please post pics. VERY IMPORTANT to see if he has any injuries....cuts, scrapes, pulled feathers....because if he/she was attacked, he needs medicine very quickly.

Also, if you can find some peas and/or corn...there is a method where you can successfully feed a pigeon some cooked, lukewarm vegetable bits and it isn't very difficult to do.

The only question is whether she/he is strong enough at this point to pull through.

Thanks for saving him !!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
You are from New York?

Well, in which part of Buenos Aires are you?
Right now Dr. Funes would be the best choice IMO, but it's pretty far away from the capital.

Get some clavamox. Ask for "amoxicilina con ácido clavulánico". Or just write it down and show it if you don't speak any spanish, hahahaha. The bird probably needs it, fast.

Will you be traveling around the country or will you be staying there?

Here there are other vets that take in birds:

Vucetich 616 - Tel: 6327-2454
Monday to Friday: From 17:00 to 20:00.
Saturdays from 10:00 to 13:00

There is also my aunt's vet. Do you speak any spanish? She doesn't know english.

There was one in Martínez but I can't find it :(

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Eleonora,

We can probably give you more help if you post a picture, and the poop, could be that the bird is just exhausted, I had been feeding pigeons in Buenos Aires before en Plaza Mayo y frente al Congreso, they are so many pigeons and very tame they were all eating in my hands :)

Anyways, if you can't pay for a vet or is not any vet around your area, take a pic and we can start from there. Thank you Eleonora for been taking care this bird, also if he/she was attack by a cat it will need antibiotics very soon.

Ivette

Ivette

1 - 5 of 5 Posts