Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi pigeon lovers,

Although I'm glad to be back here reading these posts, I'm not glad about the reason why. I found another sick pigeon on my way home from work yesterday evening. It was sitting on the pavement and not moving when it was passed by people and sniffed by a dog. I took it home and kept it overnight, safe and warm. It had the sick bird look, fluffed up, it's head tucked into its puffy chest. It also had two growths on either side of its face (under each eye), pink, and one was slightly larger than the other. It kept falling asleep and nodding off, so I left it with some peace and quiet hoping that it would pass peacefully. This morning, my little trooper was still fighting, so I feel that there is more that I can do. I inspected the wings and there seems to be little problem there, they extend and I can't see much damage - it doesn't look like it was attacked. Occasionally it takes a couple of steps and it isn't wonky or falling over. It is just tired and nodding off a lot. The stools are yellow and very watery which I know is a bad sign. It won't eat and has to be encouraged to drink water (dipping beak in) and even then only wants a little bit. I didn't check inside the mouth for canker, I have no experience with doing so.

I am in Sydney, Australia and luckily found a woman nearby who cares for pigeons and has medication (Baytril) and others. Hopefully we will meet up today so she can inspect little Pidge and suggest the best course of action for me to take. Could the growths be tumours? Could it be canker? I've added some pics at the end to help with identification. The work that you do here is lovely, it's opened my eyes to how great pigeons are. They are considered a pest in this country, when I cared for a pigeon before (well over a year ago now) I endeavoured to open the eyes of others as well. They are such sweet, gentle birds. He's tucked safely in towels with a heating pad and some peace and quiet for now. Any help or advice would be appreciated. FYI: vets in this country tend to put down injured pigeons straight away. Especially in the city, they wouldn't consider him a priority.

Update: can't upload pics from iPhone onto here. Will try and get them up later today. Happy Easter everyone.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi,

Without pic it is difficult to guesstimate what the problem is, but lumps appearing on the outside and around the face would suggest possible Pigeon Pox. If it is, then it's a virus and antibacterials such as Baytril will have no effect. They can get through it, given supportive care and isolation. Not always, but it is not necessarily fatal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts