Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2.5 year old male pigeon who I currently have staying with an avian vet, he’s been there 5 days now.
I took him there because he was exhibiting signs of weakness, neurological symptoms (leaning to one side, missing seeds he would peck at, eventually no interest in food or water). I have 8 other pigeons, no others are sick.
A week ago he got in a territory fight with a stronger pigeon over new loft space (which is ridiculous because there is more than enough nest boxes, they were just fighting over prime real estate 🙄). After the fight he started going to lower perches, then I brought him in promptly when I saw he was missing seeds.

the vet put him on antibiotics promptly- cipro and flagyl. No sign of yeast or canker. Now he has crop stasis.The vet flushed his crop with a mild antiseptic, did a one day no-food rest,has Been giving IV fluids, and now is syringe feeding with minimal success. He continues to lean to the left and cannot peck seeds although he tries to. His crop is emptying very slowly but the vet said some is getting through.
basically I’m wondering if anyone can help me decide if it’s time to euthanize or if my sweet bird still has a chance.

thank you
Ava

Attachments

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Did the vet tested for yeast before or after he started giving the meds? If he tested before the meds, then the pigeon probably has a yeast infection from all the meds.

Don't give up so soon. Ask the vet for Nysyatin (anti-fungal) and rather bring him home. Can you get hold of handraising formula for parrots? If so, start handfeeding him small balls of rolled up formula (mix with little bit of water to form a soft clay and then make small balls). This will digest easier than seeds. To this you can add vitamins. Also put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.

Start by giving him 0.5 ml of Nystatin twice a day on an empty crop. Wait half an hour and then handfeed. See if this makes a difference. You can also feed him warmed up baby applesauce throughout the day to get the crop moving. Gently massage afterwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for (always...) replying Marina.
I have liquid Nystatin here from a previous pigeon that had canker and yeast (she recovered). Also new exact baby bird formula (my previous one expired and it’s always good to keep on hand). I’m very comfortable with syringe-feeding. From what I’ve been told he is not drinking water— because of this do you recommend I syringe some ACV-water in his crop in addition to exact baby bird formula? Any suggestions on the consistency/ ratio for the baby bird formula given I will be providing his water that way also? I also have bird probiotics.
Because the crop is so slow, if I feed twice daily if there is still formula in his crop, should I remove the old formula before feeding the new? This what the vet is currently doing.
Thank you again.
Ava

Did the vet tested for yeast before or after he started giving the meds? If he tested before the meds, then the pigeon probably has a yeast infection from all the meds.

Don't give up so soon. Ask the vet for Nysyatin (anti-fungal) and rather bring him home. Can you get hold of handraising formula for parrots? If so, start handfeeding him small balls of rolled up formula (mix with little bit of water to form a soft clay and then make small balls). This will digest easier than seeds. To this you can add vitamins. Also put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.

Start by giving him 0.5 ml of Nystatin twice a day on an empty crop. Wait half an hour and then handfeed. See if this makes a difference. You can also feed him warmed up baby applesauce throughout the day to get the crop moving. Gently massage afterwards.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
If the formula is the consistency of tomato ketchup (like you would feed a baby pigeon), then I guess you don't have to give additional water. You can also add some human baby applesauce to speed up digestion. Is he not drinking water due to the neurological symptoms? If you dip the tip of his beak in water, then he might drink.

Is it possible he got pecked on the head and that caused the neurological symtoms? Lack of certain vitamins, esp B and E can also cause this. Lack of calcium and Vit D3 can cause seizures.

If you feel comfortable with removing the old food, then you can do it. Nystatin needs to be given on an empty crop, so wait half an hour before feeding.

Flagyl is for canker. I'm surprised the vet put him on that meds if there was no sign of canker. Did he do a cropsmear to check for canker and yeast?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again.
Yes, the vet did a crop smear, actually 2 now. I thought it strange to start flagyl with no signs of canker also. Yesterday I asked about candida but the vet said there was no sign of yeast on the 2nd stain either. The neurological symptoms are probably why he is not drinking water, he tips to the left. Still pecks but missing seeds. He has also had X-rays which did not show any blockage.

It’s very possible he got pecked on the head, in fact I know he did- his eye Ceres were extremely red before he got sick. He also started shaking his head and scratching his head like his ear was bothering him. Do you think if I can get his crop moving there’s a chance at the neurological symptoms improving? It seems pretty grim right now 😔

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh also the vet tested for heavy metal toxicity and labs and all of that was normal/negative.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I don't know if crop issues can affect their neurological system? If he has an inner ear infection, the cipro would have cleared this up. Any sign of mites that can maybe cause this?

I think it's more important now to make sure the crop is working perfect. The other issues might clear up in time, don't give up on him. You are his only change if surviving.

Vitamins, calcium etc will help. Put his seeds in a deep dish as one would for a pigeon that has PMV. Give him time to learn how to eat by himself again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Marina.
The vet did treat with an antifungal. She said his crop emptied today (first time in over 5 days) but “he is still very wobbly”. I really hope he can recover enough to feed himself and drink water. I don’t have experience with rehabbing pigeons with neurological issues, I thought once an infection has gone that far they are beyond help. I hope otherwise.. I’ll be picking him up Monday, the only avian vet is a 2.5hr drive away so I hope I’m doing the right thing bringing him home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if crop issues can affect their neurological system? If he has an inner ear infection, the cipro would have cleared this up. Any sign of mites that can maybe cause this?

I think it's more important now to make sure the crop is working perfect. The other issues might clear up in time, don't give up on him. You are his only change if surviving.

Vitamins, calcium etc will help. Put his seeds in a deep dish as one would for a pigeon that has PMV. Give him time to learn how to eat by himself again.
Mites... can mites cause issues like this? I will ask the vet. Thank you, I think she treated for parasites as well but I’ll double check.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I don't know if mites can cause neurological symptoms. I was thinking more about the scratching around the ear, obviously something is irritating him. Maybe you can just double check with her. I personally think bringing him home will be a better option. You can also find out what was the dosage flagyl he received.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if mites can cause neurological symptoms. I was thinking more about the scratching around the ear, obviously something is irritating him. Maybe you can just double check with her. I personally think bringing him home will be a better option. You can also find out what was the dosage flagyl he received.
Ok! Definitely plan on bringing him home if possible. It looks grim but thank you for providing some hope. I will update tomorrow when I have him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finn video

above is a link the vet shared with me today. She said his crop emptied for the 2nd time last night but he is very wobbly still. Hope the video works.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Neuro disease causes issues with digestion, not the other way around. Is he on levetiracetam and anti-inflammatories? Did they do any other diagnostics?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neuro disease causes issues with digestion, not the other way around. Is he on levetiracetam and anti-inflammatories? Did they do any other diagnostics?
Hi. No, he is not on levetiracetam or any anti inflammatories. Should I suggest this to the vet? Thank you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My avian vet loves levetiracetam for all neuro birds. It's a neuroprotectant and anti-seizure medication. I always start neuro birds on anti-inflammatory, unless they're dehydrated or I'm concerned about the kidneys. It helps if there is CNS inflammation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My avian vet loves levetiracetam for all neuro birds. It's a neuroprotectant and anti-seizure medication. I always start neuro birds on anti-inflammatory, unless they're dehydrated or I'm concerned about the kidneys. It helps if there is CNS inflammation.
Thank you. The vet started him on anti inflammatories, but thinks it’s unlikely the levetiracetam would help him, “no seizures, it probably wouldn’t do much for just neurologic signs”.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do your neuro birds ever recover to the point of being able to feed themselves?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Do your neuro birds ever recover to the point of being able to feed themselves?
Yes, but your bird's presentation is different. Mine have always been ferals with known head trauma or suspected disease. If he doesn't free fly, it seems unlikely that it's pathogenic, and it doesn't really sound like head trauma.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have a dove in my aviary that I rescued from my cat when she was very young. While treating her with meds, she developed horrible neurological symptoms. She had seizures, couldn't walk, couldn't even sit properly. I never gave up on her. Supportive care and a bit of sunlight exposure every day helped a lot. Slowly started walking again, never regained proper flight. But today she is well and living a good life. Don't give up too soon!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts