Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sick pigeon, I'm really not sure what is going on, and I need all the help, suggestions, and advice that I can get, please....
We have had this baby since she was a baby, we have raised her by hand..
But latley she is looking ill, muffled feather look, like she is cold, and she is standing on one foot with barley putting the other foot down at all!

I have no money to take her to any vet for me and my husband are not working at this time and unemployment will not be here till next week, if at all...

I need to know what I can do for her now, to help her...

Let me give you a little history on our baby, she loves to lay eggs, and after each time she lays, she gets down in her legs where she cant walk at all, even though she is being feed the oyster shell, ect.
So we give her warm baths, pamper her and leave the eggs in her cage till she doesnt want them no more to hopefully keep her from having more eggs.
She has even been egg bound before....

I hope this helps.... I will answer any and all questions..........

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please, I need to know what I can do, should do, or might try....
She is still feisty, but maybe she is acting, for my sake.....

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Many of ours perch on one foot when roosting or just relaxing, and there's nothing unusual in itself about that. If she seems 'off color' in other ways, though, that's different.

Is she kept inside? Has she very recently laid eggs? We have to sometimes provide an oral liquid calcium supplement to one of ours who lays poorly shelled eggs, though she does have access to good pigeon grit. Probably useful for a bird who gets post-laying problems too.

Can you describe

- what her poops are like
- if she is eating normally, and what
- her weight
- anything unusual inside the beak/mouth aside from a normal pink color

Just to start with

John

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hi nutty bug, not sure what's going on with your bird but can you tell me a little more.
does she feel like she is losing weight? how does her keel feel
did you look inside her mouth to see if she has any white cheesy stuff in there?
i wouldn't give her a warm bath, but you can provide heat for her by putting a heating pad on low under part of her cage.
how is her appetite?
how do her poops look, can you take a picture of them?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thks so much....

Nothing with the mouth area, looks normal
Poops look normal, like always

She is hoping around on one leg, favoring the one I guess that is huet or doesnt feel well

She is eating n drinking and is feisty

She is our only bird

Before this happened she was cooing like she was trying to lay an egg, and then this, if this information helps at all...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Is there a possibility she could have hurt her leg in the house or cage?.......That might account for her hopping on just one leg. I would fully inspect the leg for any injury/swelling ect.

If you feel she is about to lay an egg a warm bath may help. Also place a heating pad under her set on low with a towell on top to provide her some heat. Hopefully she is not eggbound as you said she has had in the past.

If she has leg problems after laying, and you are already giving oyster shell and grit.....I would suggest you also give her a calcium supplement.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi NuttyBugg,

Sorry to hear you little girl is not feeling well.

But lately she is looking ill, muffled feather look, like she is cold, and she is standing on one foot with barley putting the other foot down at all!
Could you be a little more precise in terms of time, how many days has she been like this or was her not feeling well a sudden onset and not gradual. The reason I ask is I have a bird that a few months ago that came up lame, very bad limp and using her wings to help her move around. Earlier in the day she was in the pink of condition, so I suspected injury and not illness, I did check for, but I could not feel an obviously broken bone. So off to the vets to make sure there was not a break that I did not pick up on. It was determine that she did not have a break, but a tissue injury, a week in a hospital cage and she was just about back to her normal self.

I agree with the others, one it would be really helpful to see a photo of her droppings and two to provide supplemental heat for her as suggested by altgirl35 until a better determination is made. Also, is she on a kind of regular laying schedule, if so when was the last time she laid eggs, and when would you say she is due again.

Karyn

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If she is egg bound, what can I do...
I would love to take picures of how she looks, and her poops but I cant, my camera is broken..... : (

Trying to keep her warm....

She isnt on a laying scedule or I dont think she is, she basically lays them when she wants too, I guess you would say.....

She never gets down in her legs, or legg till she lays eggs or trys too in the case....

The vet says she gets pigeon paralyzed from laying eggs - does that really happen and why???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She hasnt been looking well, since she tried laying her egg [ the last couple of days, I guess you could say], I guess, I say trying to lay her egg because everytime she coos and makes bedding she lays an egg but not this time.....

She is still feisty, eats, drinks, but is favoring the leg and has ruffled look about her...

I'm sorry, I'm trying to give you guys everything you are asking for....
And thnaks so much for all your help, advice, and understanding.....

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
NuttyBugg, could you borrow a camera or have a friend take a few pictures for you, as droppings really do tell so much about a pigeon's health.

Ok, she is not on sort of regular timing on laying, but when did she lay last and what is the shortest and longest she has gone between laying eggs?

There is a nerve that gets pressed on when a hen lays an egg that can get irritated to the point of not processing signals well, causing paralysis, which usually resolves on its own shortly after a hen lays. Liquid calcium supplementation is highly recommended for any hen that has this problem on to top of the oyster grit.

We are trying to figure out whether we should be concerned with her being egg bound or is she just injured in some way.

Karyn

·
Registered
911 Posts
In your first post you stated that she had been eggbound in the past. What were her symptoms then? Did she act like she is now? What did you do to resolve the problem?

If she is eggbound it could be a life threatening problem. Make sure her vent area is clean. You can try to feel the area and see if you feel an egg or any other obstruction.
A warm bath is helpful........also you could try to give her a drop of olive oil using an eyedropper directly into her mouth.

NuttyBug......Where are you located? We might have an experienced member or rehabber in your area that could give you some assistance.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ok, you posted while I was typing my last post. NuttyBugg, it's you are there with her not us and if she is presenting to you all the indications she usually does when she is about to lay an egg, and hasn't, then it really is you who must decide if she is egg bound and not injured.

I thankfully have never had to deal with an egg bound bird, others here have, I know warm baths help and a few drops of olive oil down her throat and a little on a Q-Tip to lubricate her vent.

I am going to need others to jump in here to here to help NuttyBugg, if this is indeed an egg bound hen.

Karyn

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay............. Tried............ No camera..... So sorry

That is what I dont know.... I dont know whats wrong....
I'm just guessing more or less....

I'm in Houston Texas, by a little town, called Crosy Texas

·
Registered
911 Posts
Try contacting these people.........even if they are not close to you.......call them......they may be able to give you a referral to someone that can help you.

Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc.
P.O. Box 369
Kendalia, TX 78027
Phone: (830) 336-2725
Fax: (830) 336-3733

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
NuttyBugg, I have to leave for an appointment.

OK, I'll take a shot. You say she is still "feisty" so let's lean toward her being egg bound. If I could not get to a vet this is what I would do.

Go out and buy some Caltrate calcium tablets for humans and give her 1/4 popped in her mouth to the back of her throat so she swallows it.

Follow this with a few drops of olive oil into her mouth, be very careful with this as aspirated oil would be very bad for her.

Warm baths, not all over, but hold/sit her in a dish of quite warm water on and off throughout the day. Dry after with paper towels so she does not remain damp and cool below.

Lubricate her vent area with a little olive oil with a little into the vent.

If she has a cage cover with a towel so its darker in her cage and have it set up with a heating pad, set on low, so she could continue to get warmth into her lower abdomen. What you are trying to do is get the heating pad under her nest area, even if you can not easily disturb her nest, set her whole cage on top of the heating pad.

See how this goes for now.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What happens after she lays her eggs...do you allow her to go through the cycle and incubate them, or do you take the eggs away? It is very important to let her incubate them, to give her body a rest.
One possibility is that your little hen is lacking in calcium and the D vitamin which they need to absorb the calcium. As has been said already, if she is getting ready to lay again, do put her on a heating pad set on low. On top of it place a slightly damp towel as damp heat can be helpful.
You can buy human calcium with vitamin D...the one I have is Vitamin D 200iu, calcium mg, magnesium mg. Give 1/2 pill twice a day for 1 day and 1/2 pill 1 time a day for 4 days. This was a recommendation given to me by Karl Frank, DVM.

In addtion, I think you need to get her on a seed mix designed to meet the needs of Pigeons.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Besides already mentioned actions, I would prepare Chamomile tea with few drops of honey instead of water. Chamomile is mild sedative (it will calm and relax her) and improves blood circulation in abdominal area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts