Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this guy (Pidgey) a couple years ago from a friend. Never had any trouble with him. However, when I left on vacation and he was under the care of my mom, he started getting extremely skinny and she took him to the vet. She didn't do anything out of the ordinary so I know that's not the trouble. Well the vets didn't know what was wrong with him and I ended up paying a ton of money just to hear that answer and get a bottle of medicine. They did say it looked like some sort of calcified build up in his intestines but they didn't know how to treat it or if it would come back when it's fixed

The medicine ended up working to an extent. He's still very skinny but he's no longer falling over when he walks. He's back to his old self! But now he has a huge wad of poop that's been sticking to his butt. It's all hardened up too. I can wash some of it off and I've been also carefully removing it but there's no way I can 100% get it off. It's only been a few days so I figured I'd ask you guys first (I'd really rather not go to the vets if it happens to be something cheap I can fix myself)

If anyone knows anything that can soften it up so I can wash it off that'd be great! If not I guess I'll have to suck it up and take him to the vets. I searched around a lot of posts and websites to figure out what caused this but it seems I've found just about every trouble a pigeon could have except this one!

Thanks for any help!
-Ash

·
Registered
499 Posts
sick pigeon

I got this guy (Pidgey) a couple years ago from a friend. Never had any trouble with him. However, when I left on vacation and he was under the care of my mom, he started getting extremely skinny and she took him to the vet. She didn't do anything out of the ordinary so I know that's not the trouble. Well the vets didn't know what was wrong with him and I ended up paying a ton of money just to hear that answer and get a bottle of medicine. They did say it looked like some sort of calcified build up in his intestines but they didn't know how to treat it or if it would come back when it's fixed

The medicine ended up working to an extent. He's still very skinny but he's no longer falling over when he walks. He's back to his old self! But now he has a huge wad of poop that's been sticking to his butt. It's all hardened up too. I can wash some of it off and I've been also carefully removing it but there's no way I can 100% get it off. It's only been a few days so I figured I'd ask you guys first (I'd really rather not go to the vets if it happens to be something cheap I can fix myself)

If anyone knows anything that can soften it up so I can wash it off that'd be great! If not I guess I'll have to suck it up and take him to the vets. I searched around a lot of posts and websites to figure out what caused this but it seems I've found just about every trouble a pigeon could have except this one!

Thanks for any help!
-Ash
sounds sad he did not get proper care from the avian-dvm,,skinny not eating right,,falling over//apparently not flying either.//.does he puff up and sit.??.he requires antibiotics--clavamox(amoxicxillin) works,,isolate in a quiet,warm area,,offer water,pigeon food,,or hand feed them to him,,kaytee wild bird formula liquid might help--to hydrate and for food.//.what do the poops look like.??.if you can look into his mouth,throat,does it look normal,or yuky stuff,,keep us posted,,sincerely james waller--poop is water soluable with epson salts/warm water

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Try using a warm saline mixture to loosen the poop before you remove it. It might be best to submerge the whole butt in the solution. This works well for me when I have to remove hardened poop from damaged feet. You should be able to remove it all, maybe in a couple of sessions, but give uncovering the vent a priority.

Cynthia

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I got this guy (Pidgey) a couple years ago from a friend. Never had any trouble with him. However, when I left on vacation and he was under the care of my mom, he started getting extremely skinny and she took him to the vet. She didn't do anything out of the ordinary so I know that's not the trouble. Well the vets didn't know what was wrong with him and I ended up paying a ton of money just to hear that answer and get a bottle of medicine. ***They did say it looked like some sort of calcified build up in his intestines but they didn't know how to treat it or if it would come back when it's fixed

Thanks for any help!
-Ash
Hey Ash,

*** You might want to check his diet and drinking water and anything else you are giving him and try to figure out why the intestines are getting calcified. That may resolve the issue. Do you give him any kind of multi-vitamin mineral prep?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
you could also trim some of the feathers around his vent cutting the feathers rather than plucking, as long as you have someone to help hold so you don't cut him.
what was the medicine they gave you? did they do a fecal to check for parasites.?
is his throat clean and pink? do you see any white gunk in there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts