Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pigeon of whom I named Georgie, but I saw him sick, I gave a plastic plate with dividers with raw rice and water, he's a bit active but what do I do if another pigeon is in the same situation like him. Please help.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT 😊.

You should give us more details on the situation, this way we will be able to help you in a better way. What did you mean by "sick"? You said that he's a bit active: he is still with you?

OK, generally speaking:

- when you rescue a new pigeon you always have to check his mouth/throat with a flashlight (a smartphone works well). If you see any yellowish/whitish growths or material or if you notice any bad smell it means that there is something wrong with him and that he needs help (a treatment).
Also check the color of the mouth mucosa: it should look pink. If it looks pale it is a sign of anemia so you should try to understand the cause of it (blood loss caused by an accident, etc);

- you should check his body for injuries: sometimes the wounds could be hard to see because hidden by feathers so you have to do that carefully. If you find any wound you should treat it (rinse it with saline solution, disinfect it and apply an antibiotic cream). If a wound has a bad smell it means that it is becoming infected: the bird absolutely and urgently needs an oral antibiotic.
If you suspect that the bird was attacked by a cat you have to give him an oral antibiotic because cat saliva could be deadly.
When you are checking his body pay attention to any strange boil or lump on legs/feet or wings. If you notice one it could be a sign of salmonella;

- you can show to a pigeon water by dipping his beak (not over the nostrils) into a small bowl of water (you can do that more than once if he does not understand at the first try). Leave always available a water bowl.
Depending on the situation you can add to the drinking water supplements like vitamins, probiotics, ACV, etc;

- you have to leave always available a bowl filled with a large variety of seeds (pigeon or dove mixture. If you can't get one of them, you can buy a wild bird mixture) and dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket) like mung beans, split peas and small lentils. If the pigeon is too young for eating on his own or if he does not eat on his own for other reasons you need to handfeed him. You can understand if he is eating by checking the poops (I attach a pic of a "good poop" so you can get an idea).
If the bird is not pooping there is something wrong: in the "best case" his vent area is dirty (you need to gently clean it with warm water and a cotton pad), in the worst case there is a problem with the crop.

These are some general info but there are a lot of different situations and problems (diseases, egg related issues, accidents, etc, etc) so we need to know all the details.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts