Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young pigeon, maybe a litte over 4 weeks old, that I think might be in poor health. At first when I got her she seemed active and healthy, but recently she has begun to be very lethargic. All she does is sit in the sun all day and puff up her feather like she's cold. She also closes her eyes. Her droppings were green and watery, and one even had worm-like particles in it. She's also not very alert. I'm worried!. For the next few days however she looked fine. Today I noticed though that she has begun to puff up a little again, but her droppings look fine. She also often opens and closes her beak as if she's clearing it or something. She also quietly peeps every 5 seconds. I'm wondering why?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Canker and respiratory might be a problem. Did you just recently wean this bird? If the eyes look sleepy and keep squinting the bird might not have found where the water is, so see if the bird already know how to drink, maybe its just dehydrated.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
It sounds like she has canker and perhaps worms, too. Is she eating at all? Are you sure she's eating and drinking on her own? Does she know where the water is? At 4 weeks dad is usually still feeding them some. You need to get meds for her ASAP. Fishzole can be found in some pet/aquarium stores and it's effective against canker (trichomoniasis). Do you know another fancier who has meds on hand? Because you can order them from one of the pigeon supply houses (Foy's, Global) but she needs help sooner than that. If you don't know anyone nearby who can provide you the meds, ask at your local feed store. If you have one that sells pigeon feed they may have meds for canker and worms, too. There are some good products to treat both but I'm guessing her main problem right now is canker.

If you're willing to drive down here I can give you some 3-in-1 medication now. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

-Cathy

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Have you looked way down her throat with a flash light to see if you see any canker down there? You may need to have someone hold the bird for you. If it is canker, then the Fish Zole would be better than a 3 in 1. They don't have enough in them of each med to cure. They are better, if you are going to use them, as preventative I think. If you find Fish Zole, read it to be sure that it is JUST Metronidazole.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Dapple...I am in SF, I can come look at the pigeon if you like.

You gotta kinda act fast here....the symptoms you describe aren't all that great-sounding.

Not insisting that I come see it...just letting you know you'll need some meds pretty fast. I have some which would probably be appropriate. I can bring tom'w...you can pickup tonight...or....

Good vet at Montclair Pet Hospital: Cynthia Lynn. She treats ferals for free or a donation..but only her, I think...not the other vets there. Give 'em a call ASAP in AM.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have a young pigeon, maybe a litte over 4 weeks old, that I think might be in poor health. At first when I got her she seemed active and healthy, but recently she has begun to be very lethargic. All she does is sit in the sun all day and puff up her feather like she's cold. She also closes her eyes. Her droppings were green and watery, and one even had worm-like particles in it. She's also not very alert. I'm worried!. For the next few days however she looked fine. Today I noticed though that she has begun to puff up a little again, but her droppings look fine. She also often opens and closes her beak as if she's clearing it or something. She also quietly peeps every 5 seconds. I'm wondering why?
Has this bird learned to eat on her own? Sometimes they will go down quickly if they aren't fully self-eating also. She is very young and still building gut flora.

Make sure you hand feed this youngster if she isn't eating.

follow the meds with a good probiotic.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Cathy - had forgotten you were in SJ - lemme make another note of that

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Any news, Dapplepigeon? Also, I checked my supplies and I misspoke earlier. It turns out I do have Fishzole and it's current. If somehow you don't connect with Jaye in SF let me know and I'd be happy to share some Fishzole with you. If I mail it today it should get there tomorrow, but of course it would be much better if you can get some TODAY.

-Cathy

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's nice of you Jaye and Cathy. I wonder if they were able to get it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys! I really appreciated them! I was about to dip the pigeons beak in water when I saw it was bathing in it. I would imagine that she knew where the water was if she did that. I also tried looking down her throat (without a flashlight but there was plenty light) and I saw nothing out of the ordinary. Do you think I should still worry or do something? She still puffs up some.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dapple...I am in SF, I can come look at the pigeon if you like.

You gotta kinda act fast here....the symptoms you describe aren't all that great-sounding.

Not insisting that I come see it...just letting you know you'll need some meds pretty fast. I have some which would probably be appropriate. I can bring tom'w...you can pickup tonight...or....

Good vet at Montclair Pet Hospital: Cynthia Lynn. She treats ferals for free or a donation..but only her, I think...not the other vets there. Give 'em a call ASAP in AM.
Does Cynthia Lynn work only AM? Does she do free examinations for owned pigeons as well? Thanks for offering to check on the pigeon!:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
A sick pigeon will not have the strength to bath. Your bird might just be relaxing it still good to give him meds for canker, worm so the 3 in 1 should work for you now.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
A sick pigeon will not have the strength to bath. Your bird might just be relaxing it still good to give him meds for canker, worm so the 3 in 1 should work for you now.
This is true. Sick pigeons don't usually bathe, so it sounds like she's feeling better. As soymi suggested, it would still be a good idea to treat your birds with 3-in-1 for canker, coccidiosis and worms. Recently weaned birds are vulnerable. Ideally you should treat your flock several times a year to prevent those ailments.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys I'll probably buy some FishZole soon. However, today a good friend of mine that worked for many years at a bird store and rescued a baby pigeon took a look at my pigeon. He said she MIGHT have canker, it is possible, but that she looks pretty healthy. He also said that her puffing up some is something not to get too worked up over. Hopefully she's getting better!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would still treat her, hand feed her if she isn't eating or fully weaned, and get some gut bacteria (robiotics) in her, as her gut flora is not up to the standards of a grown up bird.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thanks for posting back, Dapple. Can you post a pic ?

Sorry, offhand I dunno the hours of that Vet. She just comes highly recommended and in the avian vet field where just an office visit/no treatmnt runs $80...free 'pro-bono' (or more like 'pro-birdo' ) treatment sounds hella good !!!!

While I agree that the bathing is a fairly good sign...

....actually...puffing up IS sorta something to get worked up over. It is an early sign that a bird is ill. Also, not so sure a bath and drying in the air is the best thing for this bird right now.

Remember...pigeons (and most other bird species) have an innate tendency try to hide their symptoms from their flockmates, lest they get booted from the flock.

So....90% of the time, if you look at a bird and something looks "off"...it IS (because if the bird is showing signs, then it is unable to suppress showing those signs).

I strongly suggest a course of FishZole. if it were me, I'd back it up with a course of Cipro, simultaneously. I have some if you need.

415-794-3391 cell (copy it sooner rather than later - this # will be deleted from my post in a couple of days)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Regardless of whether she bathed, her symptoms sound as if she is coming down with something. How is she acting now?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She looks much better now; she's very alert though she always sits down. She also comes out in the sun a lot, and she only puffs up in the mornings (cold maybe?). I'll post some pics soon sorry guys I didn't have any. Also, yesterday evening I came to feed them and saw a thin, rope-like strand of poop swamped in this milky liquid? Diarrhea? Help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts