Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have a sick racing Pigeon with very frequent diarrhoea, inability to fly, hard time eating on own, keeps closing eyes, slightly under weight.

I took him to a vet and she inspected him and also checked his mouth/throat for canker, saying that there were no signs present.

She then took a sample of his droppings and analysed them, telling me that the Pigeon has a bacteria infection but I can't recall the name of the bacteria and am really kicking myself here as another poster has told me that the vet may have given me the wrong medication.

The medication given to me was Metronidazole Suspension 200mg to be administered once a day at 0.45ml via syringe.

I am worried that I have been given the wrong kind of medication but the vet did analyse the dropping so why would they give me the wrong meds?

According to another poster there could be canker in the crop which would not have been visible via physical inspection but maybe the bacteria found in the droppings comes from a canker infection and this is why they gave me the Metronizadole?

Or could it possibly be that the types of bacteria that cause the Pigeons symptoms are the ones that thrives in areas were there is no oxygen, which Metronizadole is apparently very good at treating.

Really am lost here. I can't call the vet again till' tomorrow but don't have enough cash left over for another consultation... :/

I just weren't through my step dads shed and found a bunch of stuff he used to administer to hiss pigeons to improve their development and their racing performance + recovery, immune system etc.

Would any of these be of any benefit? Unfortunately everything is out of date by quite a bit. Would that mean they are harmful or do they just have diminished effects?

If someone could take a look at this and give me their input it would be greatly appreciated. Trying to do everything I can so help the little fella...

GEM-THEPAX - 03/12
The use of Gemthepax during the year is strongly recommend, especially during breeding and racing. it has been specially developed and carefully controlled to have a specific positive effect on the beneficial gut micro flora by providing essential nutrients in a highly bioavailable form. Independent studies carried out in several laboratories (including the world famous 'Institute de Pasteur in Paris') have shown that gemthepax is able to stimulate these beneficial species. Other independent studies carried out show that Gemthepax can stimulate and protect the beneficial gut cro-flora even during antibiotic therapy. Always use GEMTHEPAX if ever the loft requires the use of antibiotics. GEMTHEPAX is produced using a patented process to ensure a consistent product with high Bioactivity Coefficient. It is also backed by a extensive European research program. It can be seen therefore that the pedigree of GEMTHEPAX is second to none, but we all know that pedigrees are only pieces of paper.

E-PLUS from AVIFORME - Best before AUG 2011
E-PLUS Liquid Recovery Prebiotic and Electrolytes for Racing Pigeons - High potency prebiotic and electrolytes, formulated as a liquid nutritional supplement for rapid absorption and maximum effect. UNIQUE POINTS: Very rapid return to peak condition after racing, training or illness, Invaluable aid to recovery, including wet droppings and yb sickness, Helps prevent "bad bug" build up, Economical, 2500ml should last a loft of 50 pigeon at least a full season. BENEFITS: Assists during periods of stress (a major cause of reduced performance), Helps replenish essential gut flora after antibiotic treatment, Supplied complete with a dispenser (2500ml size) for fast and accurate administration. INGREDIENTS: Fructoligosaccharides, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulphate. ADMINISTRATION: Add 1 pump (if supplied) or 5ml per half litre of drinking water (pint approx) on return from race to replace essential fluid loss. After illness, medication or stress, use for at least 5 consecutive days.

AVIMAX SOLUTION by AVIFORM - Best before dec 2010
UNIQUE POINTS:

Contains more 100% pure grade acetyl l-carnitine than any other pigeon supplement.

BENEFITS:

Promotes conversion of long chain fatty acids to energy for the flight muscles.
Ensures a sustained supply of energy.
Helps prevent muscle fatigue and cramp.
Less lactic acid is formed during muscle work, since fatty acids rather than carbohydrates are converted to energy.
Reduces the content of fatty acids in the blood by promoting their conversion to energy.
Reduces breakdown of muscle tissue and helps protect muscle against injury.
Much faster post race recovery.
Greatly improves endurance and stamina

MYCOFORM-T by AVIFORM - Best before June 2011
UNIQUE POINTS:

A single weekly measure maintains a clear system, essential for peak performance.
Very effective.
100% Natural.
No side effects.
Totally safe.
Use for 5 days during respiratory problems.

BENEFITS:
Even healthy birds will look and fly better.
Reduces losses (especially during young bird racing).
Simple administration.
Very economical.

GEM ULTRA-VITS - Can't find best before date
A combination of top class vitamins, minerals, amino acids and electrolytes in a water soluble form, all of which are essential for birds throughout the year, especially during periods of racing and ill health.

Simple to use just add one scoop to each litre of the birds drinking water once or twice per week, or for three days after an illness.

Carr's NATRAVIT - 12/3/9 (american or uk unknown)
Natravit is a totally natural multivitamin complementing the Carrs Natural Improver range packed full of naturally occurring vitamins.

This product has the added advantage of containing 4 omega oils, 3, 6, 9 & 7, all essential for vitality health and cell renewal.

This product is produced from the berries of one plant and it is the only plant that produces all four omega oils. Omega 7 being the most rare. It also contains naturally occurring caratonoid, and this will help with colour enhancment, a lot of fanciers report that the feather colour becomes more vivid when it is being used.

Natravit replaces the berries and seeds that the birds would find in the wild. In the autumn huge flocks of birds in the wild can be seen harvesting bushes - they are taking advantage of the omega oils in the berries and are preparing for winter by topping up there oil levels. Omega oils are not produced by the body naturally, they have to be eaten in some way, and this product is an excellent way of providing your birds with a balanced array of Omega oils and vitamins.

Carr's AD-HERB (original i believe, red label colour) - no best before found
Ad-herb Original is specially designed as a natural alternative to modern day antibiotics. The aim is to improve the performance, condition and digestion of your birds the natural way.

Aims:
✔ Improve performance and condition
✔ Maintain excellent gut function and digestion
✔ Support your bird’s natural immune system
✔ Enhance feather quality
✔ To promote good circulation
✔ Produce tight droppings

Highly recommended for use when breeding, rearing, racing and moulting by G. W. Kirkland (11 times national winner) and many other top flyers.

For pigeons of any age
Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
Contains naturally occurring omega oils 3 and 6.
Oil based: for adding to the feed.

Carr's TURBO BOOST - no best before found
Turbo Boost is pure hemp oil, cold pressed to retain all of its natural properties. Invigorate your birds (even during training!) and produce high levels of vitality! Containing omega oils 3 and 6 (essential for cell renewal when birds are feeling fatigued), Turbo Boost can help slow down the muscle deterioration process during racing.

Aims:
✔ Accelerate through the moult
✔ Produce the perfect moult
✔ Invigorate your birds during training and racing
✔ Produce high levels of vitality
✔ Win!

Turbo Boost can also be used when the birds are moulting to help push out feathers and to encourage the moult when used in the 'darkness system'.

Highly recommended for training, sprint to middle distance racing and moulting.

GEM - IMPACT HIGH ENERGY TONIC - Expiry date 01/04(?)
A powerful high energy tonic containing a complex mix of absorbable iodine's, active iron, cobalt, sodium molybdate and pure Vitamin B12. all carried on a high energy base.

Impact helps:

Natural resistance
Thyroid gland function
Stimulates metabolism
Purges the blood
Produces pink clean skin
Birds seem to blow up
We recommend that fanciers use IMPACT twice a week during racing and three days a week to birds that are about to be paired up. Use at least once once a week in the stock loft throughout the year.

A superb complex high energy tonic. IMPACT is a powerful high energy tonic containing a complex mix of iodines, active iron, cobalt and pure vitamin B12, carried on a high energy base. All of which enter the bloodstream quickly. The pure vitamin B12 enhances energy metabolism in muscle tissues and is also involved in red blood cell formation. Add to water.

Apologies for the wall of text but would be great if someone could look into these for me and see if any of them would be beneficial despite the best before dates. I know some of them say they are good natural antibiotics and goods for illness etc.

Also just an upddate : The pigeon seems to be pooing (what else to call it...) rather a lot and it iss very runny.

When I say a lot I mean easily 6 or more times in just as many or less hours.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had a pigeon that was passing droppings similar with yours pigeon's. I took her to lab test and found out had internal canker + coccidiosis (coccidiosis not in a threatening stage). She died after two days, not sure if because of canker or she may got some water in lungs when I tried to make her drink.

I've read that internal (intestinal probaly) canker is mostly incurable and leadsto death.

Canker is caused by trichomonas, which is not a bacteria (bacteria = unicellular plant) but a protozoa - a unicellular animal. Antibiotics are for bacteria, for canker is metronidazole. Often is not only canker but also coccidia or a bacteria.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to update, Charlie is no longer with us.

Thanks to those who actually tried to help.

A very sad day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did call the vet today to ask her to clarify what type of bacteria she found in Charlie's droppings and she said it was called Protozoa.

She said it could bee an indicator of a number of different p problems.

I am trying to work out what caused Charlie too go suddenly down hill.

I stayed up with him all day and then all night, then I went to bed for 4 hours and when I woke he passed away within 10-15 mins or less.

I literally saw him before going to sleep and he was in a similar condition to what I have been saying, 4 hours later I open the lid to his carrier (he slept in his carrier in my shed with me with my small electric heater on a low-medium setting to keep the room temperature up as it can get cold in here and I was worried about him getting too cold...

Then I got out of bed, took the lid off and he was just sitting there totally still, with hiss eyes wide open looking (I believe) at me.

I was shocked and worried and was not sure if he was alive straight away so I gave him a gentle nudge and he moved a little, and then I could very barely notice hiss breathing.

I picked him up out of thee carrier and popped him onto some newspaper on the shed floor and he just collapsed forwards, eyes slowly closing very tight and he could not move at all or hold himself upright.

I picked him up again and this time I could not detect any breathing and I think he was dying right then and there.

I rushed to get him some fresh water as I was worried he was badly dehydrated and I was in a panic as I was concerned he was dying and I had to act fast, but I could not get him to drink the water. He was totally unresponsive.

I took him out to the garden and called the vet as I did not know what to do and did not know if he was even still alive but he didn't feel dead if you know what I mean...

The vet asked me to gently touch hiss eye with my finger so I assumed eye lid and pressed and there was no response.

Then she asked me to pinch his toe to see if he responded and he did not.

I noticed fluid coming out of hiss nose and eyes.

I took him to the vet in the carrier and she confirmed he had passed.

What could have caused this sudden decline?

I fed him 20 peas before I went to sleep and made him a bowl of the rehydration tonic that was suggested (warm water and a pinch of salt + sugar.)

Could these have been the cause?

Or Could it have been the heater?

Or maybe it was just hiss sickness? Worse than I had realised? I really thought after seeing the vet that he would recover with care and medication.

I have asked the vet and she tells me that it would not have been the heater as I would have seen signs of heat stroke etc and it could not have been the peas as I only gave him 20 and even with canker in crop (wee don't know if he had this or not...) it would not have caused this to happen.

But I really don't know...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated I am very torn up here.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
The medicine the vet gave you, metronidazole is for canker. Canker infection is caused by a single cell parasite which is a protozoa.
When a pigeon is as ill as your pigeon was, it's very important to keep the pigeon inside and put them on a heating pad set on the low setting. The heat needs to be direct and not a heater.
Giving food or water to a cold bird can cause a quick death and the bird must be thoroughly warmed first. If the feet are cold, the bird is not warm enough to offer food or water.
Also, giving oral fluids to a bird that is nearly unconscious is a bad idea because they likely will aspirate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts