Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello can anyone help,i have recently aquired a pair of roller pigeons,the hen laid 1 egg a few days ago,she became egg bound with the other,she has since passed the 2nd egg but she is still showing signs of lobster tail and cant seem to walk,she is moving around by using her wings to pull herself across floor,i have had her at vet,shes been injected with anti bio and calcium,i have her seperate from others keeping her warm and giving her fluids but she hasnt eaten anything and is losing weight,droppings appear normal.thank you

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Do not have an experience with egg bound pigeons, but have read that if the egg is passed then its not as life threatning as it could have been. I hope the vent was cleaned by the vet, yet may not be required if the egg was not broken inside. Calcium and antibiotics seems to be the right route. Regular calcium grit, sunlight, VitD3 suupplements will all help a pigeon low on calicum. For now you can feed her easy to digest feed soaked in water, whole wheat bread crumps soaked in water might help. Somebody should be here soon to assist.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
hello can anyone help,i have recently aquired a pair of roller pigeons,the hen laid 1 egg a few days ago,she became egg bound with the other,she has since passed the 2nd egg but she is still showing signs of lobster tail and cant seem to walk,she is moving around by using her wings to pull herself across floor,i have had her at vet,shes been injected with anti bio and calcium,i have her seperate from others keeping her warm and giving her fluids but she hasnt eaten anything and is losing weight,droppings appear normal.thank you

Hi doolady,

Can you post some images of her fresh poops?

Usually, some supplimental Vitamin D, some Hormone injections, and, supplimental Calcium would get things back on track...maybe some anti-inflammitory medicines also initially.

They need Vitamin D, and, if they can not get it naturally, by being out in the Sunshine out of doors, sooner or later, it will catch up to them, and cause Calcium assimilation troubles or Egg troubles.

If she has an infection in her Oviduct, this could of course cause Egg Binding symptoms, and, would require Antibiotics to resolve.

Warmth, quiet, being with her Mate and cuddling...would be good.

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Agree with all of the above.
I would also put a heating pad (set on LOW) with a towel on top for her to sit on. It helps relieve the inflammation on the nerve that the passing of the egg caused. Usually takes 5-10 days before their up and walking again.
Keep food and water close by, so she doesn't have to move around for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all very much,she has attempted eating,and seems a lot brighter than she was,she is sitting on hot water bottles covered with a towel and had been since yesterday,rest assured she is getting plenty of attention,as for the poo,it is very dark green in colour,soz unable to post pic,the vent was well cleaned and the egg was complete on laying,ive had her in luke warm water to bathe also,so i think im doing all the right things.thanks again for replies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.