Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 of my yb is looking sick sitting on the floor all puffed up took him out give him a check dident see anything tought i would treat him for canker and worms as i give him a half dose canker he started to get sick any corn or water in him went out any body know what this could be

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hello.

1) separate him from any other birds and get him on heat immediately (heating pad under a sheet or towel, or in a carrier or box in a nice warm room).

2) describe how he "got sick" after the canker med ? Did he throw up ? Or start breathing heavily with mouth open ?

3) describe how the peas and corn "went out " ? Did he vomit them ? or did the soon pass as poop but still looking like peas and corn ?

4) is he underweight ????

First thing is to get him isolated and on heat. Then answer these Q's and we can go from here.....

....definitely sounds like he will need some meds..but which ones exactly is what we need to determine.

Do you have an avian vet you can take him to ????

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here's a handy link that perhaps will help you match other symptoms. He could be dealing with more than just one thing.
Often canker medicine will cause pigeons to vomit. Which medication was it?
Also, if you have it there...a drop of Pepto Bismo prior to the medicine, helps keep it down.

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/index.php

I agree with Jaye that isolating the bird and getting him on heat is very important. Sick birds can't regulate their own body temp and so they need consistant heat supplemented.
It would be helpful to know the answers to the questions he asked as well.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
1 of my yb is looking sick sitting on the floor all puffed up took him out give him a check dident see anything tought i would treat him for canker and worms as i give him a half dose canker he started to get sick any corn or water in him went out any body know what this could be
Young domestic birds have very little gut bacteria, and the meds may have completely depleted him. You need to give him a healthy dose of probiotics a few times so he can get the gut flora back on track.

Meanwhile, hand feed him until he gets strong enough or gets the desire to eat enough on his own. Also, put apple cider vinegar in the water that will provide the proper PH. (1 tablespoon per gallon of water)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad news friends when i got home from work today the the yb was dead.a sad day just have to hope none of my others get sick.i checked that link charis give me i am pretty sure it is pathogen dame it .disinfected and blow torched my loft will start treatment tomorrow it is 11:30 pm now cant do anything now.i was over with my mate he races he said it could be pathogen a few people is at r getting it .hopefully no more get sick .ty for replys

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Sorry to hear...in these instances you really need to work fast...when bird shows illness like that, you have very little time to get him on supportive care and isolated.

I think being proactive & having your others checked out would be a good idea, as opposed to just hoping for the best. If these birds were together and some have died, even cleaning/disinfecting the loft may not be enough.

Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts