Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago the the owner of a parking garage where a large flock of pigeons used to roost got rid of the door that they used to roost on. There were three babies running around on the ground of the garage after bieng dumped out of thier nests on the door. A fourth had been run over by a car before I got there. Anyway I have been raising the remaining three babies by myself and they are eating and drinking on thier own and starting to fly but about three days ago I noticed one of the babies seemed sick. He has become very sluggish and barley moves. He will walk over to the food when the others are eating and tries to eat but he dosent seem to be eating much. His feathers are always fluffed up and he's always resting his eyes. He also seemed abut cold. I dont know what to do. I have isolated him from the rest of the babies and gave him a reptile heat pad to keep warm and I hand feed him peas and make sure he drinks enough each day. What else should I do? What is wrong with him?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed a bunch of pigeon lice on his feathers could this be what's making him sick? The others barley have it but they're all over him!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The lice will not make him sick, usually if sick when that young it is canker. If u have meds for him either both canker meds and general antibiotic together. Keep feeding him and making him drink, also if you can buy an electrolyte drink from drug store in the baby isle.
Called pedialyte. U can give this instead of water as it is basically i.v. fluids in a jar.

This will help with energy, if u dont want to get that, then put a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of either sugar, honey or glucose into each cup of warm water and give him that as a drink, this will help get his energy up asap. IF u dont have any of that u can go to store and buy gatorade and give it 50% mix with reg tap water as the gatorade is a bit too much salt so cut in half with water is fine and get a plain flavor hopefully NOT with any color.

Also feed that bird 3/4 full crop twice a day and 20ml of the water solution TWICE a day also 20ml for each feeding each feeding. So no more than 45ml TOTAL in a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts