Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some pigeons in a big cage outside that I have had for many years

Had many hatched that grow up fine

Problem Im asking about is , After some hatch and get feathers and able to eat themself and seem healthy , and out eating off the ground , but cant fly up to a perch yet. They then seem to get sick , and cant walk and stand on their legs. The legs get weak and they eventualy die. They still eat and drink water. but cant walk, so they crawl around with their wing untill they get too weak and die.

Of 5 recent birds that hatched 2 are healthy and Ok and 3 others are sick, one died, other 2 im sure will die in a few days.

A bunch more eggs have been layed .

Anyone have a idea why the young pigeons get weak, cant walk then die?

Rick

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Rick,
Do you treat your pigeons with any preventative medicines?
Do rodents have the opportunity to get into your cage?
Do you give fresh water and seed daily?
How many pigeons do you have?
Sorry for so many questions but your answers will help us narrow down what the problem may be.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Isolate your young birds for weaning when they are ready to leave the nest. Hand feed them a couple times a day and make sure they are picking seed before they leave the nest. IF your water supply is from a well add a table spoon of bleach to 2 gallons of water.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
What are you feeding them, have you changed the diet? have you changed the type of grit they receive ? Where are you located at? If no other birds have come in think it is maybe a Nutritional/Mineral problem...JMHO Dave

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Possible, but what if this is upper Canada, and they are breeding earlier than usual, and the young birds feet are freezing? We need more info.! But good points all.... Dave

·
Registered
95 Posts
Way back, i used to have similar problem! the young bird gets ill, then shows
watery eyes, after that cheesy accumulation on them, then emaciation, then
won't walk then greeney droppings after that dies.

You see, the stage when a pigeon gets weaned, should be monitored for any
changes. this stage is very stressful for it, therefore its immunity is at risk.

Providing clean, safe & warm place for them is very important, since they may
get distressed by the older ones.

Here, i always medicate (as protective measure) for canker, respiratory diseases
and parasites even if they don't show any symptoms.. though some vets suggested
not to, to allow the bird to develop a natural immunity.​

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Medicating so much, mostly with young birds is not a good idea. Sometimes i get the impression, it is more for the owner than the bird. The living conditions are usually the problem most of the time. Dave

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Where would the infected bird come from? This person has had these birds a long time according to Rick's post... Dave
The parents are often carriers of paratyphoid but do not show symptoms/problems as they are older/stronger and are able to withstand the effects of the bacterial infection while a youngster is not able to fend off the problem. If this is paratyphoid, it is quite possible that Rick's adults have had it for a long time.

It could well be something else, and the comments about carefully monitoring the youngsters and keeping things clean are right on.

Terry

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have some pigeons in a big cage outside that I have had for many years

Had many hatched that grow up fine

Problem Im asking about is , After some hatch and get feathers and able to eat themself and seem healthy , and out eating off the ground , but cant fly up to a perch yet. They then seem to get sick , and cant walk and stand on their legs. The legs get weak and they eventualy die. They still eat and drink water. but cant walk, so they crawl around with their wing untill they get too weak and die.

Of 5 recent birds that hatched 2 are healthy and Ok and 3 others are sick, one died, other 2 im sure will die in a few days.

A bunch more eggs have been layed .

Anyone have a idea why the young pigeons get weak, cant walk then die?

Rick
So is it years? i think not.......... Dave

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
So Terry, how many years/months will they carry it?
I don't really know, Dave, but would hazard a guess that adults could be carriers for their entire lifetime and be passing it on to their young .. some of which survive and others that don't. Don't take this as gospel or anything even close. I would need to really research this or better yet, get bailed out by a member that really knows! :)

Terry

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Rodents could also be the culprits.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts