Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do pigeons and doves loose their voices(coo) if they coo too much?:confused:
my male was cooing and he sounded like when people need to clear their throats.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good question:confused:. I hope everything's alright.:(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i checked it mouth and its all pink. i dont know if its sick or not... its just cooing funny:(

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned unless it sounded like it needed to clear its throat, just when it is breathing. I had a dove once who always sounded hoarse when he was cooing. He was like that when we got him, and he never changed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I wouldn't be concerned unless it sounded like it needed to clear its throat, just when it is breathing. I had a dove once who always sounded hoarse when he was cooing. He was like that when we got him, and he never changed.
Ya it's just that he wasn't always like this it jus started sounding like that today I guess I'll give it a couple of days to see if it gets any better before I get too worried about it. I don't want to loose anothe one:/

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I understand. If there was a problem, it'd probably be a respiratory issue, in which case I'd give it a dose of Terramycin. Not only because it's one of the few medications in my fridge :rolleyes: but it is good for respiratory diseases in particular...and it's a broad-spectrum antibiotic so it could take care of a lot of things.

How old is the dove? Could just be an awkward voice change :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any idea of the age sorry but he is old enough to make babies

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I would worry if there's any rattling, wheezing or if he has nasal discharge or his eyes are excessively watery. How is his condition otherwise? Does he seem to feel okay or is he lethargic?

The only time I've heard a throat-clearing type sound in a bird, it was a pigeon that turned out to have an aspergillis (fungal) infection in her throat. It was tricky for my vet to diagnose but he put her on antifungal medication and she made a full recovery.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
do pigeons and doves loose their voices(coo) if they coo too much?:confused:
my male was cooing and he sounded like when people need to clear their throats.
Yes, pigeons can lose their voices, my Skye did. The vet said it can happen, and it happened when he was moulting. His voice did return.

However, don't wait too long if this is respiratory, as this can escelate quickly and needs immediate attenton with meds.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he's acting normally except for the cooing

·
Registered
813 Posts
If it is respiratory ... it wouldn't hurt to run a humidifier and see if it helps. When Journey had a bout with a resp. infection we ran it 12 hours on and 12 hours off, per his vet... Just a thought-

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well, if the baby of this pair died, I would keep a close eye on them both, if you can afford an exam at the vet if you think something is not right, I would do that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i wanted to take them to avet when i first got them so for like a check up but i dont think my vet does birds and i couldnt find one that did.:( money isnt an issue if there really is something wrong that can be fixed. i dont mind being broke for them:p :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts