Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever thought why do pigeons have those bars???

Most of the fereal pigeons have bars?

Is it to form some specific pattern, to attract their mates, when male pigeons expand their wings and tails....

or is it to create some kind of distraction while they are flying to cofuse brid of preys???

There should be some specific reason for that pattern.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
That is an excellent question :)

There could be something in your first point, but given that many pigeons we normally see have very varied plumage, and some (like white birds) no markings, I'd go more with your second point.

Considering many species favor a camoflage effect to blend with their usual background, the wild Columba livia rock dove's colors probably evolved to that end. They are all blue bar plumage, and with the flocks I've seen in their natural habitat it can quite difficult to pick out individuals when they are hanging out on a rocky hillside, or on ledges outside caves in sea cliffs. A nesting pigeon inside a cave must be almost invisible! Even when foraging in fields or scrub they aren't very noticeable. I'd think the bars would break up the overall color and, like you suggest, could make it more difficult for their natural enemy the Peregrine, to get a good focus.

John

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice question! thanks for asking.:) I never thought of that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Some interesting thoughts.

Do you think they form a specific pattern resembling something???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts