Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
so they will all be blue...correct
Hi FASTPITCH,No that is not correct, Red is the dominant color, so if the red cock is pure for red(homozygosis) he will pass red color to both of his young. You must understand that the hen carries only one gene for color which she passes to the young cock in this case it is blue however the cock if he is pure for red will pass a red gene thus a red bird. remember cocks carry 2 color genes. RED/RED. RED/BLUE. RED/BROWN so red/red = all red birds, red/blue = mostly red with some blue color birds,red/brown = mostly red with some brown birds. If you have any red birds in your loft check the cocks to see if they have black or brown flecking on their feathers if they do these birds are carring a second color blue or brown. Hens recieve only one color gene and what you see is the color gene that she passes I hope that I have not confused you if so I will try to answer any questions that you might have but keep this in mind I am also learning this genetic stuff and may not be able to give you an answer until I check it out in some of the books that I have on pigeon genetics GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Thanks George - The cock does have black flecks on his tail. So he's split for blue. Does that make the youngsters red split for blue also since the mom is blue. They are currently sitting on eggs that are due to hatch at the end of the month. I'm curious to see what they have this time around.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks George - The cock does have black flecks on his tail. So he's split for blue. Does that make the youngsters red split for blue also since the mom is blue. They are currently sitting on eggs that are due to hatch at the end of the month. I'm curious to see what they have this time around.
Not necessarily. It does make them carry blue 100% of the time IF the youngster is a cock. However, if the youngster is a hen, then 100% of the time, it is NOT heterozygous for blue. The hen is HEMIzygous (she only carries on gene for pigment at that spot on her chromosome, never two) BTW - note I said pigment and not color.

Frank

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Anytime a red pigeon has black or blue flecks in the tail, it is always a cock, and it is carrying blue. Since hens can't carry other colors, they will never have black or blue flecks. Pure red birds, or homozygous reds, have no flecking at all. Red cocks split for brown should also have brown flecking.

So in your case, you can and probably will get blue babies at some point. It all just depends on how those genetic dice roll :p But this way does make sexing the babies easier! Just look for those flecks :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.