1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my saddle hen

plus blue bar cock

equal him..

what color could he be ..at first i thought he was barless...now i see that little red coming out...

he was the only egg ... he also have that splash around his eye color ...cant wait to see how he turn out!!:D
i also banded her both npa and au band 2010 ..since my 2011 didn't come in till the next day!!! 2 day later au band fell off!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yes, he is a red bar :)
You have a sex-linked mating there. So all the red kids will be cocks, and all the blue kids will be hens :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ok MOE and you other genetic-rocket-scientists-that-make-my-head-hurt. You have doomed be my making the much better half of me want a red bar. The conversation went something like this:

me (sitting at my desk look at the forum): hmmmm... red bar....
her (looking over shoulder): red bar? what do they look like?
m: blue bars that are red.
h (slaps back of my head (I deserved it))
m: let me look, but it should be like that bird Slate that flew off on first day flying.
h: he was pretty.
m (tapping on keyboard): why don't I like the sound of you saying that?
h: because you know that I make the rules here.
m: right.
h: ooooo that is pretty. I want a few.
m: let me ask maryofexeter and the other ....
h: WHO'S MARY!?!?

Now that I have explain mary to her and the lumps on my head have gone down a little, I must attempt to generate a red bar. What are the magic combinations i should try?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
LOL. Sorry Jaysen :D

Well to get a red bar, you're going to need an ash-red bird. Then you can mate it to a blue bar, and if the red bird is barred or carrying bar, then it should throw red bars :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Do you still have the ash-red checks that are in your album pictures? If you do, they'll work :)
Red bars, red check, etc are all technically ash-reds. We just tend to make it easier and say red bar or whatever.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have the "old" red check hen (mated to a blue bar as we speak) and her red check son who is only 3 months old and completely confused as to what that darn blue bar hen next to him wants! So hopefully I'll get that red bar on accident!

BTW -- Wood duck in pencil is very nice. We have those guys out back. You captured it very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts