Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There had always been a lot of crows in our neighborhood, especially in winter. They have never shown the slightest interest in the bird feeders. Suddenly for the last week they've been coming in droves, bulking the other birds away any, and leaving not a single seed on the feeders or on the ground. It wouldn't bother me as much if they would at Keats chase away the hawks, but last week the trees were full of crows when a hawk came and grabbed a pigeon off the platform feeder, and not a peep of a warning from the crows. On the weekend I can somewhat work around them and put food out after they leave. But during the week I have to just put seed out before I go to work and hope some of the other birds manage to get some.
Also there are only about four pigeons that still come, compared with about 20 regulars we had all summer. I haven't seen squeaky, Mexico. Or pigy in weeks. I don't know if they moved on to a safer place or if the hawks have wiped out the whole flock. The four that come now are different birds , not part of the summer/fall group

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The Crows will eat anything. How about putting some dry cat food out for them. They will like that more than the seed and the other birds may return.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I feed the crows...this may sound strange, but I fed them some left over raisen bran mixed with dry cat food and they ate two big bowls of it, all gone... so now that is what I give them away from the main tweety bird feeder.

G

·
Crows dont really help here much,they only seem to bother the redtails and I dont have a problem with redtails they are way to big to sneak up on my birds :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Crows dont really help here much,they only seem to bother the redtails and I dont have a problem with redtails they are way to big to sneak up on my birds :rolleyes:
yeah, sometimes they earn their snacks, but most times they don't...but now Im attached to seeing the family that comes here, esp because I call and this one big one comes when I call him..it is just so cool that he knows me now...a wild bird.....smart birds!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
There had always been a lot of crows in our neighborhood, especially in winter. They have never shown the slightest interest in the bird feeders. Suddenly for the last week they've been coming in droves, bulking the other birds away any, and leaving not a single seed on the feeders or on the ground. It wouldn't bother me as much if they would at Keats chase away the hawks, but last week the trees were full of crows when a hawk came and grabbed a pigeon off the platform feeder, and not a peep of a warning from the crows. On the weekend I can somewhat work around them and put food out after they leave. But during the week I have to just put seed out before I go to work and hope some of the other birds manage to get some.
Also there are only about four pigeons that still come, compared with about 20 regulars we had all summer. I haven't seen squeaky, Mexico. Or pigy in weeks. I don't know if they moved on to a safer place or if the hawks have wiped out the whole flock. The four that come now are different birds , not part of the summer/fall group

Put the seed for the song birds in feeders that would be difficult for the Crows to use. Something they can't land on. After a while they should give up and stop coming. You can feed them as suggested here, but if you don't want them around, that would just encourage them to keep coming back. But if you use a feeder they can't get to, and feed them a little distance from that feeder, it may be fun to have them coming.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I am a big Corvid fan...I think they rock. Around here, they give hawks hell...so you gotta luv that.

I would echo what others have said regarding differentiating the food and how it is offered.

Also, generally if you notice a hawk has caught on to a feeding location and/or time, be sure to take steps to change it up asap....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
they will eat anything, this time a year it's getting pretty tough for them to find thier favorite foods, carrion, berries ect, so they have found your feeder.
i love them also, such an amazing family structure and so flippen smart.
i put dry dog food and peanuts out for them, other birds love it also like bluejays, titmous's or is it titmice, idk, even the nuthatches go for the dog food.
they titmice even hang on my screen looking at me until i throw out peanuts for them

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Our backyard is woodsy, but just over the back fence, there are always crows. They never have come to out yard for the bird feeders, and I always wondered why they go over there. I thought maybe it was just too woodsy for them. After reading these posts, I'm thinking that they are over there for the cat food that my neighbor always leaves out for the feral cats that hang around there. So they like cat food huh? Would that be hard cat food, or soft cat food?

·
Registered
393 Posts
You are dealing with one of the smartest bird's on this planet, "Mary of Exceter" would know more.
Crow's will eat vegetation or meat...they are survivalist's. The only way I can encourage them to stay in my neighbourhood, is by not using chemical's, not cutting down my tree's, and my koi pond has a constant stream of water.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As an avid bird watcher, as well as pigeon fancier, I've seen Common Crows hunt for earthworms in the wet woods in springs, and cooperative hunting with a Red shouldered Hawk. The Hawk would land near the crows and walk around like a Robin, pulling up worms!
It was neat!

·
Registered
393 Posts
As an avid bird watcher, as well as pigeon fancier, I've seen Common Crows hunt for earthworms in the wet woods in springs, and cooperative hunting with a Red shouldered Hawk. The Hawk would land near the crows and walk around like a Robin, pulling up worms!
It was neat!
A man of my own heart. Amazing bird's. After the bird flu, I was scared we would not see them again. But little by little, there coming back.
And I don't attribute that to man!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't mind the crows at all, cat food is definately out, too many cats around. We live in the city, our yard is small, so there really is no away from the other feeders. Inaddition to a typical round feeder for songbirds, we have a platform feeder that about 4-5 pigeons can eat comfortably, although we've counted as many as fifteen on it, pretty funny to watch. I also sprinkle some food around on the ground. I guess we'll have to accomodate the crows, they've always been here, just never ate here. We have plan for a platform feeder for the pigeons and morning doves, that we think/hope will give them a chance to escape a hawk attack. Hopefully this weekend or next we can get it made

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
jay they will eat both, i just go for the dry cause it's less stinky! and i use puppy food because it's better bite sized pieces and has less alkaline in it, i soak the puppy food for the babies when i have them

1 - 20 of 39 Posts