Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a squab that is a few week old now. His parents didn't want to use one of the nest boxes, so they made their nest on the floor. Not sure who did it but I noticed one of the birds eye was bloody. I took the bird in, and cleaned it up and put it back out with the rest of the birds. It doesn't look like the eye will be the same as the other eye. I can put my had in the box that I put over them, to pick him up, and if I go in on the side with the bad eye he doesn't move, like he can't see out of it at all.

What are the chances of this bird being able to fly with the rest of my birds with only one eye? Is there something I can do for the eye as far as medication goes?

Thanks

Mat

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
There is no chance...you must always keep him inside.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have a squab that is a few week old now. His parents didn't want to use one of the nest boxes, so they made their nest on the floor. Not sure who did it but I noticed one of the birds eye was bloody. I took the bird in, and cleaned it up and put it back out with the rest of the birds. It doesn't look like the eye will be the same as the other eye. I can put my had in the box that I put over them, to pick him up, and if I go in on the side with the bad eye he doesn't move, like he can't see out of it at all.

What are the chances of this bird being able to fly with the rest of my birds with only one eye? Is there something I can do for the eye as far as medication goes?

Thanks

Mat
A note for the future. Put a box, board on bricks or something for you young birds to take refuge when they go to the ground. Also those that are raised on floor nests. Some of the breeders can get quite nasty with youngsters. I also see what pair they came from. If the cock of the pair is not agressive or has some control of the floor, I will put the babies up in the nest again. I do not want them to miss a meal. Keep an eye on your agressive cocks. Some pairs I will feed in the box, so I know the babies are being fed well.

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts