Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a hen, about two years old now, who has never had a mate, the poor girl. I had a young cock that I bought earlier this year who was going to be paired with her soon, however he was killed by a hawk as I was training him (they're racing homers, he was 8 miles from home, poor baby. the other 5 came back ok, though). So she's still single. I've got a few other single birds, mostly young'ns that I'm unsure of gender as of yet, and she shows no interest in any of them. She's fixated on a red cock I own, Fiyero, whose mate just started their 2nd family. As Fiyero courted his lady, Juno, Hera (my single lady) would try and butt in, bowing back, cooing, and even trying to preen Fiyero, driving Juno away. I paired Fiyero and Juno together for a reason, so I actually had to seperate Hera from those two until they finished their egg-laying business. Now, I've had cocks before that get upset when the other birds mate, and that's pretty normal, but whenever my males are courting their girls, Hera will gravitate towards their cooing (you know, that special cooing sound they make when they're wooing the ladies) and coo softly back, normally just watching, but sometimes she breaks in and tries to win the male over. It's heartbreaking to watch, but I just don't have another male for her to mate with, as of yet. It's like a soap opera! This poor girl even took over a nestbox and built herself a nest, then tried to convince Fiyero to join her. This is all very aggressive-sounding, male-ish behavior, but I know for a fact that she's a she; she laid an egg last summer without a mate. I let her sit on it for about 19 days, then threw it out, because I think we both knew it wasn't going to hatch (I candled it to make 100% sure).

So, any idea what I can do for the poor girl? She's not that old, and she's a racer, so I don't like the idea of her becoming a mommy, just in case I loose her, but I suppose I know how to foster babies, and I have other pairs... it just makes me feel awful when it's so apparent she wants a mate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If anything, just what until your YB's are sex-able and pick outta male for her. Thats the only thing i can think of besides buying one.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well, it would settle things down a bit if you got her a mate. What other answer is there. And she shouldn't be flown while she is on eggs or babies. Neither should her mate. If you lose one of them, the other may very well not raise the babies alone. Let them breed when you aren't racing them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts