Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question~I have a single pigeon Petey and by this time I think he is male as there have been no eggs.So this is my question;should I give him fake eggs to sit on?Because he is always just coooing and doing the whole mating dance thing and I was wondering if the eggs were placed in his nest bowl if he would calm a little and just sit on them? I have given him nesting material and he doesn't build anything he likes towels.I am just wondering if that would help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Elizabethy..I would love more but I can only have one.So where do you get eggs and what do I do just put them in his nest bowl?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That bird wants a mate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that the only place to buy them? Also how do I do it like I said do I just drop them in? I really would love to give him a mate (I am his mate as he is always with me), but my husband will not allow another pigeon in our house he doesn't like Petey as it is.So that is out of the question and I am just going to have to do for him!!Which is fine...I just thought that if he had the eggs he would perhaps enjoy sitting on them.I didn't know if this was important to the male.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Really depends on the male. He may not be interested in them without a mate, but you can try. You can buy them at any pigeon supply place, or some even get them at crafts stores, if you can find something that looks enough like a pigeon egg. Doesn't have to look exactly like one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay well I did it and he didn't seem happy....he pecked at them refused to get in his basket and just stared at them and then at me. He did however bring me bits of nesting material all day on Saturday while they were in the basket. He would fly and find me with a little piece of hay in his beak. I would go back to the eggs with him and he would stare again at me and then at them...since he wouldn't lay in his basket anymore I took them out that night...he just didn't seem to get it.So I bought him some toys and dumped a bunch of nesting things at the bottom of the cage so he could occupy himself while I am at work.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he was bringing you the straw, maybe he expected you to build the nest, as the female will fashion one from the straw or what ever that the male brings to her. He probably thought you layed them, and should be sitting on them. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts