Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read here that one should not let parent birds fly out if they are sitting on their egg(s). Chance of one or both abandoning egg. There are 5 birds that live together. Should I make an addition to the enclosure so that the parents and egg(s) can be kept in and others fly? Or just make a division to the enclosure to keep other adults out?

The parents have had the egg for 4 days and have had opportunity to choose to fly whenever. Since 4 of the birds are white, it is tough to know who the other parent is..

Shall I just leave them alone to do what they are doing now so that I do not ruffle their feathers so to speak...?:confused:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You would do better to keep them in pairs, as mixing singles with pairs just causes problems. So getting mates for any singles would be a great idea.
If you have to separate them to keep the parents in, then do that. If you lose one of them, the other will most likely give up on the eggs. And if you have babies and let the parents fly, than you could end up with orphans and have to raise them on your own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are banded but same color so it is hard to tell who is who. Will check on that. They are white doves. I do not know beyond that but can ask the man I got them from.

Until I discover who the two parents are (one is on nest..do not now who is the other who shares sitting), is it best to keep all 5 birds in? And then separate when I know who is who....?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of the eggs hatched about 5 days ago. doing well. the adults are taking turns on their eggs. 2 eggs for one pair (with the one hatched one) and one egg for the other pair so far. Doing well. How big of a bowl should they have for baths? Have not had one before this....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.