Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever observed a weird behaviour such as this: the first time when I replaced the eggs by plaster eggs our Emma (feral pigeon, completely free) sat on the new (plaster) eggs for 45 days! until she realized that nothing would hatch from the eggs.
This happened last year and I was already wondering whether something was wrong with her. But it is true. Both Emma and her partner Pete sat that long on the eggs and finally abandoned them.

In the meanwhile they realize it earlier when nothing will hatch - about 10 days overdue. I have the feeling sometimes that they like sitting on eggs - this way they have their peace and take long naps...:)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Taking it easy...

You could well be right! Have pigeons ever canvassed for their right to maternity leave, I wonder... :D But seriously, I've never known a hen to sit on eggs that long. However, if she's happy and healthy, it shouldn't do any harm.
By the way, I loved the photos you posted on another thread here. Is Emma one of the pigeons featured?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have two dear little barren hens, they are quite happy sitting on an empty nest, but I give them plastic eggs to make the experience more real for them. They have both sat on the plastic eggs for weeks, and so have their mates.

Cynthia

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sometimes they will slip in an extra couple of eggs without the care giver realizing it. The can be quite clever, these Pigeons. It's always such a surprise. We call them Oops babies when they hatch.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. The two real eggs layed right alongside the fake eggs is something you learn about. That would be my Screech. Sneaky parents he has. All the time, I thought, "Isn't that nice that their are still sitting on those eggs." Then one day I realized that one had hatched, and when I looked, Yep, they had layed 2 eggs beside the fake ones. Now I am always lifting them up and checking. LOL.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Our homer, Willow, who considers me her mate sits on her eggs over a month. I give her a break and egg sit 3x's a day (shes in a Big cage all alone... but in the bird room). And she seems to just love her eggs. Once she gives up on them... it usually only takes a week until there is more... so I just let her sit the eggs, so not to deplete the calcium.

Now my doves gave me oppsie babies! They are sneaky little things! They pushed the dummies out under the paper towel.....

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Sometimes they will slip in an extra couple of eggs without the care giver realizing it. The can be quite clever, these Pigeons. It's always such a surprise. We call them Oops babies when they hatch.
Yeah, tell me about it. :rolleyes::cool::eek: That's happened more times than I can count over the years. And I always find myself saying, "But there were only TWO EGGS IN THERE and they were DUMMY EGGS. . .WTH(eck)!" :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for those funny stories. Pigeons seem to have lots of tricks in their repertoire. That is no surprise.
To avoid any misunderstanding - the "plaster" eggs I am regularly putting under Emma's belly are real eggs - i.e. I extracted the content from 2 eggs with a syringe, washed them with warm water and then carefully in several layers filled them up with plaster. Now these eggs cannot be differentiated from the alive eggs - they are only a little bit heavier than the normal ones. And they keep the body warmth quite nicely.
So Emma probably really thinks these are her own - I don't know whether she has realized the plot :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could well be right! Have pigeons ever canvassed for their right to maternity leave, I wonder... :D But seriously, I've never known a hen to sit on eggs that long. However, if she's happy and healthy, it shouldn't do any harm.
By the way, I loved the photos you posted on another thread here. Is Emma one of the pigeons featured?
Hi Teresa,
you mean the piggies on my head? No - that's not Emma - she can be found in the sidebar of my blog. There are all portraits of "our" pigeon family! :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have a number of pigeons who will sit on dummy eggs for weeks. My ring-neck doves almost never abandon a nest but lay new eggs next to the dummy eggs--which is why we've had so many oops dove chicks. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts