Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my pigeon numbers are growing, (so what's new!:)) I am planning to move my loft 15 feet or so away from it's current location so that I can add adjoining flights, breeding loft and aviary. I am wondering how my homers will adapt to having their loft moved: will they be lost, confused etc. or will they just adapt? Currently their loft is right next to the house and they often land on the house roof (particularly the high TV aerial) after loft flying - so I suspect that the large, flat house roof is their landing strip and wonder if moving their own little loft away may cause them to stay hanging about on the house instead of seeking their smaller and soon to be remoter loft? Any experience in loft relocation would be welcome before I embark on this plan!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know how far or what kind of landscape you have to work with but you might consider renting a crane and saving your back and your lawn. If the building is sound structurally and has a good frame for the floor moving a 10sqr loft should not be to difficult to move on planks and rollers (large pipe), A guy I know had a 10x24 moved 60 miles on a flatbed towtruck last fall. and I helped another guy move a bigger loft on a haywagon frame and axles several miles a few years back.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have a 6X12 loft on 4X4s. I put wheels on each 4X4 and rolled it across the yard. Each 6" wheel was rated at 350lbs. I took my time moving the loft, I moved 12 feet, release the birds a couple of days, then 12 more feet until I got it where I want it. Not sure how stable your walls are attached to the roof and floor but I used trailer straps wrapped around my loft to give it added support. I moved it on unlevel ground down a hill to get it to the side of the house so I used a comalong and ropes so the loft would not get away from me, (want my birds to fly not my loft).

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I also used bricks and a 2 ton floor jack and slowly jacked up each side of the loft one brick at a time until I got it high enough to remove the bricks and put the wheels under it.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I did that just for experiment. There is no problem for them to find their own loft. I moved mine just to see whether they will adapt. Fifteen feet is like nothing. I moved the loft at the same backyard and initially the pigeons wondered where it went. I moved it more than 15 feet. Sooner or later they landed on the loft roof and entered the loft. Funny thing is that the loft is like a lollipop to them. I lured them on it. After I moved it in one area, I forced release them again, then move it to another location only 10 feet and they enter again. I moved the loft 3 times just to see how they will adapt. It was just funny. They are smart and they know where home is. Then the last experiment: I added a section. Semi-problem started. They wont go in! Apparently they wont move in to a new looking loft. So maybe you have to keep them inside while building the other one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! My loft is easy to move as it is very small and made of only steel and mesh, so a few able bodies will be able to lift and move it no trouble. I am really pleased to know that they will adapt, and I will wait until they have settled in before adding the extra sections.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
As my pigeon numbers are growing, (so what's new!:)) I am planning to move my loft 15 feet or so away from it's current location so that I can add adjoining flights, breeding loft and aviary. I am wondering how my homers will adapt to having their loft moved: will they be lost, confused etc. or will they just adapt? Currently their loft is right next to the house and they often land on the house roof (particularly the high TV aerial) after loft flying - so I suspect that the large, flat house roof is their landing strip and wonder if moving their own little loft away may cause them to stay hanging about on the house instead of seeking their smaller and soon to be remoter loft? Any experience in loft relocation would be welcome before I embark on this plan!
You have already gotten some good responses which have answered your question. But, if you think back to military applications of the use of racing pigeons, their lofts would be moved all the time, thus the name "Mobile Lofts"....I also read or saw something about a loft built on a house boat, and it would move up and down a river. So, 15 feet or 150 feet should not be an issue.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have already gotten some good responses which have answered your question. But, if you think back to military applications of the use of racing pigeons, their lofts would be moved all the time, thus the name "Mobile Lofts"....I also read or saw something about a loft built on a house boat, and it would move up and down a river. So, 15 feet or 150 feet should not be an issue.
Good points! I love the notion of having a pigeon loft on a houseboat - pigeons are so adaptable to us humans, aren't they!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.