Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have found a sick, wild pigeon that I believe has trich. It will not eat or drink, and is dying...slowly. My local Game and Fish office said they would euthanize, but they use CO2. I know CO2 is not a death free of suffering, even if it is relatively quick. (I looked it up, and for birds it appears to be 20-70 seconds average.) Cornell University recorded signs of distress before death including mouth gaping and head shaking.

My question is, would it be more humane to allow this guy to slowly die a natural death, or should I take him to Game and Fish for CO2 euthanasia?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If he has trich (canker) he does not need to be euthanized or die a slow death. The disease is very easy to treat if you have the right medicines available. Metronidazole is a good med to use, how soon can you get hold of it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just examining his poop. It is black, like tar, so now I'm wondering if it is trich. He does have a bump on his body right near his little tail. But unfortunately, I am flying out of town tomorrow and am unable to do any treatment. Game and Fish also will only euthanize since they consider pigeons a domestic species rather than a wild or game species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.