Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Question from my racing Buddy. He has an old hen since 2002 that has never done this b4. She laid an egg about the size of a dime sized marble. He takes good care of his birds, no disease or anything like that and he has always used the same vitamins and such. Any Ideas? He is worried she is getting too old? He does not abuse his birds by over breeding or anything. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
862 Posts
Me personally, if the eggs are small, I would throw them away.
I agree there . I also think that the hen may just be getting old . I did have a hen lay an extra large egg once followed by an egg the same size as your friends hen . I threw both out after a week , and the next round of eggs was fine . She was only about 4 years old however . Right now I have a 2 year old hen that only lays 1 egg . Also the egg is infertile , but the mate drives her very hard so the egg may be shaken up . Anyone had experience with that ?
Kurps

Corrected to : next round of eggs

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree there . I also think that the hen may just be getting old . I did have a hen lay an extra large egg once followed by an egg the same size as your friends hen . I threw both out after a week and the next egg was fine . She was only about 4 years old however . Right now I have a 2 year old hen that only lays 1 egg . Also the egg is infertile , but the mate drives her very hard so the egg may be shaken up . Anyone had experience with that ?
Kurps
Thanks everyone. He did a switch with a fake egg when she laid the small egg. He saved it to show to me. M Kurps, I have never had that happen. My only experience with a strange egg is a hen I have that always throws 1 normal egg and 1 large egg.The normal egg always does well and when you candle the large egg it has two embryos and both of them show fertile, but they never make it. I always leave it alone for the heck of it to see what happens. I'll print this off and give it to my buddy. Thanks again, Jim

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well forget about the question about the hen laying the 1 egg only since I got her as a yb 2 years ago. She is gone . I looked into it my self and saw possibilities for a guy who had a lot of his hens laying only 1 egg . Pipa suggested paratyphoid , strep or e-coli . My hen was off when I got her . Free yb if I bought another so I took her . She went through the mill of antibiotics when she arrived and was vaccinated for para the last 2 years. It's not E-coli , 2 weeks ago she went through 5 days ACV . I do believe she may have been inbreed too far , but I am not familiar with that . I. Had put an egg under her and she hatched it and was over protective but got weak fast and couldn't handle it . Weirdest way I've seen . No fluffing up , no vomiting , wasn't on the floor , no warning , just exhaustion . That's the first time I lost a pigeon in a few years .
Kurps

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well forget about the question about the hen laying the 1 egg only since I got her as a yb 2 years ago. She is gone . I looked into it my self and saw possibilities for a guy who had a lot of his hens laying only 1 egg . Pipa suggested paratyphoid , strep or e-coli . My hen was off when I got her . Free yb if I bought another so I took her . She went through the mill of antibiotics when she arrived and was vaccinated for para the last 2 years. It's not E-coli , 2 weeks ago she went through 5 days ACV . I do believe she may have been inbreed too far , but I am not familiar with that . I. Had put an egg under her and she hatched it and was over protective but got weak fast and couldn't handle it . Weirdest way I've seen . No fluffing up , no vomiting , wasn't on the floor , no warning , just exhaustion . That's the first time I lost a pigeon in a few years .
Kurps
Well I figured out why she passed , not by a necroscopy . It was wet straw that had dried . The spores , Aspergillosis is what did her in , it was my bad , I should have changed the straw regularly . Better yet find an alternative for nesting material . She was weak to begin with and couldn't fight it .
Kurps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.