Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for the past week or two (on and off) my male pigeon has had some creamier (sorry) looking and smelly poops.

I don't know much about diseases or symptoms and so I was hoping someone with more experience can look at the photos attached and tell me if it's normal!

Thank you!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Probiotics for pigeons which you can get online, and ACV in the water. Try adding a Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of drinking water. Give this a couple times a week, and the probiotics as well. May just need his good gut bacteria built up.
What do you feed him? How has his appetite been?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probiotics for pigeons which you can get online, and ACV in the water. Try adding a Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of drinking water. Give this a couple times a week, and the probiotics as well. May just need his good gut bacteria built up.
What do you feed him? How has his appetite been?
I started him on some good ACV for the first time two days ago, so I'm hoping that will help! Will order some probiotics too, thank you.

It's impossible to tell how his appetite is because he is hand-fed. Although he is in majority of other ways recovered from PMV symptoms he still, after over 9 months, can't pick things up and get them down.

He is fed Harrison's adult lifetime coarse pellets, I pop them in like peas. :)

·
Banned
569 Posts
Hi, for the past week or two (on and off) my male pigeon has had some creamier (sorry) looking and smelly poops.

I don't know much about diseases or symptoms and so I was hoping someone with more experience can look at the photos attached and tell me if it's normal!

Thank you!! :)
The droppings look pretty normal to me. All fecal madder will have some kind of odor. Changes in droppings usually mean changes in feed as well. If he is allowed out they can forage. Water intake can change things as well, like when you offer bathing they can drink form the bath and in warmer weather they drink more. It s always a good idea to get the droppings tested before giving any medications for bacteria or internal parasites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure he can't pick them up, or he doesn't really want to?
When he's walking around he will sometimes see something like a seed on the floor and try peck at it but if he gets it all he ends up doing is throwing. I think that because the PMV affected him just as he was beginning to learn to feed it's not something he ever fully learned, nor did I feel it appropriate to deprive him of food during his recovery to try and force the behaviour out of him.

So it might be something to do with that as well.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Sometimes I leave a bowl of peas out for him in the morning before his first feed because that is when he is most hungry but there is no change in his attempts to eat or overall attitude.

·
Banned
569 Posts
He needs a mix of seeds and peas and grains. I would not let him fill up on one thing before offering the rest, really they sling seeds around anyway ESP if they are over fed, they pick out their favorites because they have execess. If they are only fed what they will eat in about 10 to 15 minuets they eat all of it or most of it. His dropping don't look bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The droppings look pretty normal to me. All fecal madder will have some kind of odor. Changes in droppings usually mean changes in feed as well. If he is allowed out they can forage. Water intake can change things as well, like when you offer bathing they can drink form the bath and in warmer weather they drink more. It s always a good idea to get the droppings tested before giving any medications for bacteria or internal parasites.
I am a bit of a worry-parent I will admit! His diet did recently change, around 4 weeks ago when I switched him to pellets. Before then he never had a poop like this. If he starts acting weird I'll get it tested asap.

Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Huh. I found this thread because I was trying to see if I could find an old thread with answers to my question as well.

One of my pigeons just got over the PMV too. I was thinking he's older because he's much more sedate than my hyper 5 month old male. PMV left this older feral without the use of one of his legs so we trimmed his feathers and kept him.

But his poops smell! OMG he smells so strong! He also poops a lot less than the other two. For 20 or 30 poops from one, he may poop 5-6 times a day instead but they are huge poops. The color is healthy, the white is there too. But they smell very strong. He eats very well and drinks plenty of water and I have been giving them ACV.

Does age matter? Could this feral just be "an old guy" (as my husband says). He seems uninterested in the one female and he only talks back to my young male when the youth gets too "disrespectfully close" otherwise he's doing his own thing which is mostly "chilling" all day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.