Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got six young homers from my teacher last wednesday and they are all doing fine!! They look healthy, and are eating great!!! :D But two of the birds are making a sneezing and coughing kind of sound. I raised some market chickens for the county fair about two months ago, and they made the same kind of noise, but my teacher said it was a normal reaction, from the medecine the hatchery gives them. After a week or two the chickens stopped making the sound. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal or something serious, and if my birds will stop to. Thank You

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Where are you keeping the birds? Do they sneeze a lot or just once in a while? Do you know how old they are? I would just keep an eye on them and make sure there's no discharge from the eyes or nose or mouth. Could be just the feather dust or a respiratory infection of some kind. As long as they ACT ok and eat and drink and seem generally healthy, I wouldn't get TOO excited about it all but I WOULD keep an eye on them just in case.
Can you post pictures of the birds? Are their wattles nice and white or do they look dull and brownish/grayish?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it doesn't clear up soon, then the best bet is to take the birds to an avian vet for an examination. The vet might want to do a respiratory profile lab test to make sure that they are not harbouring some infection.

Last year my ringneck dove was sneezing and it turned out he had chlamydophilia psittaci, which is normally quite contagious, and even humans can catch this microbe from infected birds. He had to take a rather lengthy course of antibiotics (doxycycline), which I also had to give to my two other birds.

However, one and a half years later he is still sneezing a lot. The vet did another test a few months ago and all the results came back negative. Fortunately for him (and the other birds too) he is no longer infected, but his sinuses have remained permanently damaged from this nasty infection. Now he needs to be monitered regularly by the vet, and to get a nasal flushing treatment from her every few weeks to clear the accumulated mucus from his sinuses. But the good news is that he survived and is basically in good health. Had he been left untreated, he would probably be dead now, and I may have lost my other two birds as well.

All this just to say that if the birds don't improve soon, please take them to a vet because there could be some serious infection, and it is better to be safe then sorry!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sneezing can be an indication of canker. Ask your teacher if he treated them for canker already.
Birds do act ok even when they are sick and that's because a scik bird in the wild would be an easy target for predators. Once you can tell they are sick...they are REALLY sick. I do agree that as long as they are eating and pooping they are not critical. If they haven't been treated for canker, I would do so ASAP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts