Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...So why not racing pigeons? :p I understand there's not much footage or excitement (well, it's exciting to us, but maybe not the average unknowing person) you could get out of that to put on the tv, but it'd still be cool to hear them report some of the wins from the major money races or maybe who won some of the national awards. Mentioning AVG speeds, money won, great race records, etc. Could get some good attention brought to the sport.

On a less serious note...
My friends joke about 'extreme pigeon racing' and how that could be the next big thing on sports channels, LOL. Complete with mini-jerseys sporting their band numbers, and little rain coats in case they run into some storms :D But hopefully without the big collisions and constant left turns :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey, it may seem funny, but when you look at the chinese, they do alot of pigeon race recording and market it. I think if someone did promote it and can broad cast live video feed like horse racing, it might draw peoples attention, especially gamblers. I always thought about having pictures of each racers on line and people can bet on them base on the looks and background provided. Reports can be posted on line on a website. It will eventually happen, someone with money will see the opportunity. Be like online gambling.

G

·
the problem is unless this would be a one loft type race the lofts are so scattered around the country that everyone would need a camera at their loft to see the thrills of victory of the returning birds .. cbs lofts used to have working cameras for that very thing but they really didnt have the best cameras to begin with so you missed alot of the action going on but it was still kinna fun to watch ..the texas gusher has a camera on their lofts too for watching races but again you really cant see to much to the lack of quality of their video camera , the flamingo races have some great views thou and it would be awesome if they would archive videos of the first drop birds returning to the lofts as well on all their races but they dont ,kinda a bummer for those of us that have towork during the hours these races are held :eek:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ya'll missing the point. Cameras on the birds themselves. A birdseye view of the race. Little editing and we got a show.

LOL Tony

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Think about this when you can watch every pigeon in the race, live, on a map as they race home it would be a spectator sport. The chips that are out now are too expensive, to big, and I am not sure you can tell what pigeon is what. It won't be long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the device now on the birds, is only a gps tracking system. Bird must make it home first to show reports any way and if small cameras are used, there must be a reception close by to capture the visual feed. Just like the hawk videos in nature documentaries where they test the falcon and it's speed. There were equipment in the plane to catch reception and people on the ground. It's like tracking an animal as well with a tracking collar.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just suggesting race results, but if they could get some 'live action' :p that would be cool. One loft races would be idea as then they could at least get everyone's reactions and some clips of when all those birds come piling in.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Recently they have come out with a GPS tracking device that you can give (read: attach) to your kids, to keep tabs on them. Freedom and liberty advocates are agaisnt it as evasions of your kids privacy. They are rather small and the ads state that you can track your kids on the internet, to see where they are and where they have been.

But it has me thinking that in no time at all, they will have some small enough to attack to pigeons so that we can find out where they are and where they have been. How they came home, etc.

It would be great if these GPS devices could be incorporated in the chip bands they already have on their legs for clocking purposes.

I would love to have something like that. How much I would pay is a factor, but if I could locate the bird, it might be worth a decent investment because even if a hawk got the bird, I could possibly retrieve my band/GPS tracking device.

Plus, I could put it in my wifes purse or car.

Just kidding honey :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Plus, I could put it in my wifes purse or car.

Just kidding honey :)
No your not, LOL. GPS yes. but have you seen how small those recording cameras are? that would be cool, but I would want the GPS also just incase the camera didn't make it home.

By the way, your wife's cell phone can track her. Seriously!!!

Tony

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
We (her and I) may be among the last of a breed. Neither one of us has a cell phone. I had one all the time I was working but when I retired I got rid of it.

I actually worked as a Narcotics Detective and was in charge of doing our departments video and audio surveillance for my last couple of years as one. I know all about how those things can (and are) used. I have used "bird dogs" and "fire flies" among all the other stuff. A cell phone that has a camera, recording device and a couple of other things built into it, are all the rage with detectives. I ain't talking about how the phone will record your calls or take videos when you want to. I am talking about when it is turned off :) Anyone in the business of surveillance will know what I am talking about.

I used to be able to park down the street from you and listen to your phone calls on your home phone (land line) or cell phone. You would not believe all the shananigans going on when the husband left for work. "He's gone, come on over. Hurry". That type of stuff. Facinating at first but it got boring. It is rampant. I could put the equipment on "scan" and would hear this type of thing in a two block radius, every couple of minutes.

Sad really. But the way of the world. I actually believe that pigeons are more faithful than humans. But I can't say that for sure because I haven't "bugged" any pigeons yet. :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
maybe the ipone can come up with a pigeon racing App....lol.. put a little chip on them someplace and track them with your iphone.....they have an app for everthing...lol...

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL. Racing pigeon app, yeah! :p

They already have GPS devices you can put on your birds, but they're pretty expensive, and if you lose the bird, there goes your money. I've seen them advertised several times already in the RPD :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes I have seen the GPS device for pigeons in Racing Pigeon Digest, half tempted to get one, but i am guessing you then have to buy the software for the GPS device to download to your computer and then pay some kind of monthy membership fee for to a website that owns part of the satelite that is trackingy your pigeon with the GPS...i am not sure exactly how this would work but i am thinking you will need to have a computer with internet connection, dont know how else you could track it othewise....and if the bird decided not to come home the possibilitys are endless on the places you could end up trying to recover you GPS off the pigeon, could end up being something like a scavanger hunt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How about a reality show centering around a one loft race or a pigeon club. Now who has the most difunctional pigeon club with a host of ready made charecters?? Keystonepaul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pigeon Racing on primetime

I think that they should have a tv show that covers one of this country's one loft racers. It show from the time the brids arrive to training and then the race. it would be better then watching some of the junk that on tv now. I also think that the IF and AU should team up and make a short movie for TV.So we can show pepole what our sports all about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts