Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should have been taken more seriously, in my opinion. Those people had no right to harass someone like that.

'As I was feeding the birds, a man and a woman grabbed my bag of bird seeds and threw it away. They shouted at me and put their fingers up in front of my face and put their hands on me. Several passersby took pictures and called 911. But the perpetrators fled in their vehicle, NY plate CMH 9863. Five police cars sped up with their sirens on, but after hearing what the complaint was about, refused to do anything and were laughing about the incident. I forced them to fill out a Harrassment complaint and they gave an Incident Information Slip and I am to call a phone number. They told me there are alot of such incidents of citizens harassing people who feed birds. The police did not take the incident seriously, even though they sped up to the scene with sirens whaling. If the same thing happened for another reason, they would have chased the vehicle that left the scene of a crime, but because it was about feeding birds, they took the entire scenario as a joke.'

http://forums.manhattanbirdclub.com/post?id=4584766

Anyone here ever had something like this happen to you? Or witnessed it?
I know there are many pigeon and bird haters out there, but I would like to think they'd have enough respect/maturity to act a little more decent than this. Sadly, I can't.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Becky, They need to contact there boss. Go talk to the chief of police. Police should take everything seriously. So sorry this has happened to anyone, awful people are the way they are. You never know if they could have a gun, but people have NO right to touch anything you have. Go talk to the chief and file a complaint on the officers. Conditionfreak on here is a retired police officer I'm pretty sure, pm him and ask what they should do. min

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It is incredible that assault is treated so lightly just because it involves a pigeon lover.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Becky, That was very sad. I live right outside NYC, and go into the city often. Most (not all) New Yorkers see pigeons as flying rats. Even animal lovers look down on the pigeon. New Yorkers think pigeons are very dirty birds. The Mayor as publicly asked people not to feed them. Yet when a building on the upper East side wanted to remove a hawks nest people were outraged! People protested for blocks, the story was covered by all local newspapers and TV. The hawks nest stayed. One bird is hated and poisoned while another; people shut down city blocks to save! I am a pigeon lover, but would be very learly of feeding them in the city. Poor city birds.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hello be on a look out because people like that just don't. stop they my come again. so if you have a drug mart or a hunting store or wall mart i would recommend getting a stun gun or pepper spray. or if its way to bad get a 22rifel. but be care full !! just make sure you also keep your birds safe and city birds to . if you want come talk on are page and i can tell you good bird seed brands and safety and birds. from. Josiah.

·
Registered
379 Posts
you have real good feelings for birds .

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
For pepper spray you have to let them get close. I would use wasp spray, it wont harm people too much and you can spray them from 20 ft away.
Dave

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
We dont have much ferals here, not like NY, there are packs of 30 - 35 pigeons which have been stationed at the rice markets from times long before than when I was born. With all these years harmony has been established in those areas and they have a good life with no need for extra feeding.

But stray dogs are spotted here and there and some of them have taken the harsh steps of biting small children, so the locals are not very happy with stray dogs. Occassionaly disputes come up between persons when someone throw stones/bottles at the dogs but it never gets to the cops.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sreesh, so sad about the stray dogs. I think EVERY dog can be a great pet if given love and patience. Really sad. min

·
Registered
70 Posts
it should be considere4d harassment because whether they like pigeons or not. You spent money on those bird seeds. Also they grabbed you. That is considered harassment. The next time that happens ask them their names and report them to the cheif of polece.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it were me I would have been pised off. How dare they do that. Those poor birds must be starved looking for food everywhere using most of their energy flying around.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got bad looks all the time when I feed the birds, but also people that smile, and some that say bad and good things about it, so we are not going to make happy anyone here, we do this because we feel for these birds, a friend of mine came over yesterday to the city to feed some flocks, and told me about a pigeon that was sick around the ferry building, I went there after work and I found him, he was with oil and very skinny, strings in his feet, and didn't fly, I'm so glad that she went there and noticed him, she feed them but can't take them home, but at least was able to let me know, you do what it makes you feel better, no matter what people say, and in the future bring some pepper spray with you like someone said here, I have one not for that reason but is always good to have something like that these days. I'm really sorry for what happen to you Becky.

Ivette

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess your right. They are people that hate pigeons. Thats just the way they are. If it were someone you know get them to see through all the poo. Let them see the beauty behind Pigeons. Thats good you found that pigeon Ivor.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes Biveon, it took 3 people, my friend told me about it, I pick him up, and Jaye is going to take care of him, he is on his way to my house right now, the poor little thing was in a very bad shape, but I gave him a bath yesterday and gave him some defrost peas and corn, and pedialite to drink, and was warm under a heating pad, I removed some of his strings but Jaye has better scissors, anyways I'm sure he will post about him eventually.

Ivette

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes Biveon, it took 3 people, my friend told me about it, I pick him up, and Jaye is going to take care of him, he is on his way to my house right now, the poor little thing was in a very bad shape, but I gave him a bath yesterday and gave him some defrost peas and corn, and pedialite to drink, and was warm under a heating pad, I removed some of his strings but Jaye has better scissors, anyways I'm sure he will post about him eventually.

Ivette
I'm SO happy for that little bird, once in just a TERRIBLE situation and now safe and fed and warm and cared for! Ivette and friends- you are WONDERFUL! THANK YOU for helping that poor little innocent.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm glad I do not live in the city.... If I did I would move. but the country life can have is own horrors too....aka pigeons shoots.... not in this state thank goodness.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i like your idea

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Speaking as a retired cop, I can tell you that if they actually took the seeds by force (grabbing is by force), they committed a robbery. Harassment should be the least of the possible charges.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts